JesseM

What dot are you using on your pistols?

31 posts in this topic

It looks like the Vortex is the most appealing option so far among the ones listed. I played with an RMR and the window was too small and too tinted for me to like it.

I am looking at the Venom and the Viper but it's hard to tell what the difference is between them in terms of function. I can't tell which has the larger window. They both weigh the same and are available witha  6 MOA dot which is appealing. The only obvious difference that is standing out to me is that the Viper takes a CR 2032 Battery at the base meaning you'd have to remount the optic to change the battery and the Venom takes a CR 1632 Battery in a compartment at the top allowing you to leave the dot mounted to change the battery. What else am I missing?

Vortex venom is not available in 6moa yet.

I've heard horror stories about new venom battery compartments either stripping while installing or under recoil.

Another user actually unmounted and remounted the sight due to the locks being butted up against rear sight. The sight held zero no problems.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Oh. Their website says that the Venom is available in 6 MOA so that wasn't obvious.

Yeah I was in same boat, set on the venom in 6moa. Then tried to find one and they were all backordered.

Vortex viper is awesome.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Viper has bigger lens, bottom battery mount. Venom has smaller window, top mount battery, 6MOA is coming. There is the Razor too, never played with it. Shield has a new sight coming, RMS. Pics appear to have a fairly big window.

I contacted Vortex about the 6MOA Venom and they said a few months. Their website shows "Spring 2017"

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/venom-red-dot-6-moa-dot

Here is window size data I took off another post on BE. Some I verified others I have not. So, verify before purchasing.:

RTS2: 25mm w x 22mm h
Vortex Razor: 28mm x 17.5mm
Vortex Venom: 26.4mm x 16.0mm
Vortex Viper: 24mm x 17.5mm
Leupold Deltapoint Pro: 25.7mm x 17.5mm
Burris FastFire 3: 21mm x 15mm
RMR: 22mm w x 16mm h 
c-more slideride: 29mm
Sig Romeo 3: 25mm wide x 21mm h
Sig Romeo 1: 30mm wide x 16mm h
J point: 21.5mm w x 15mm h
Doctor: 21mm x 15mm