Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What dot are you using on your pistols?

JesseM

It looks like the Vortex is the most appealing option so far among the ones listed. I played with an RMR and the window was too small and too tinted for me to like it.

I am looking at the Venom and the Viper but it's hard to tell what the difference is between them in terms of function. I can't tell which has the larger window. They both weigh the same and are available witha  6 MOA dot which is appealing. The only obvious difference that is standing out to me is that the Viper takes a CR 2032 Battery at the base meaning you'd have to remount the optic to change the battery and the Venom takes a CR 1632 Battery in a compartment at the top allowing you to leave the dot mounted to change the battery. What else am I missing?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortex venom is not available in 6moa yet.

I've heard horror stories about new venom battery compartments either stripping while installing or under recoil.

Another user actually unmounted and remounted the sight due to the locks being butted up against rear sight. The sight held zero no problems.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Viper has bigger lens, bottom battery mount. Venom has smaller window, top mount battery, 6MOA is coming. There is the Razor too, never played with it. Shield has a new sight coming, RMS. Pics appear to have a fairly big window.

I contacted Vortex about the 6MOA Venom and they said a few months. Their website shows "Spring 2017"

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/venom-red-dot-6-moa-dot

Here is window size data I took off another post on BE. Some I verified others I have not. So, verify before purchasing.:

RTS2: 25mm w x 22mm h
Vortex Razor: 28mm x 17.5mm
Vortex Venom: 26.4mm x 16.0mm
Vortex Viper: 24mm x 17.5mm
Leupold Deltapoint Pro: 25.7mm x 17.5mm
Burris FastFire 3: 21mm x 15mm
RMR: 22mm w x 16mm h 
c-more slideride: 29mm
Sig Romeo 3: 25mm wide x 21mm h
Sig Romeo 1: 30mm wide x 16mm h
J point: 21.5mm w x 15mm h
Doctor: 21mm x 15mm

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bsand said:

First week of March.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's what I was hoping for, not 1500 over 1 year...

the re-zero potential is the only thing that has me hesitant. 

I have 6 FF3's. Two 3 MOAs and four 8 MOAs. Frame and slide mounts. Never an issue with any of them. My oldest is 5-6 years old and still on original battery. I shoot 2-3 times per week. Well over 100K on a couple of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Mounted a vortex viper 6moa on my m&p core and couldn't be happier. No fishing for the dot whatsoever, just throw it up the same as you would if you were shooting through the irons and the dots there every time.  Having shot dots that sit higher and going through dry fire practise every time i really appreciate the lack of learning curve. 

On 3/22/2017 at 11:27 AM, trgt said:

Deltapoint Pro 7.5 MOA triangle on my carry optics CZs. I have friends who just prefer the 2.5 MOA dot on theirs, its certainly bright enought to not lose or wash out. But I find the larger triangle is just more visible for me at speed (just put red on target 15 yards and under), and there's some versatility with the triangle on how you use at longer distances. (I've variously tried 25 yard zero to tip of triangle, as well as lining up triangle to top of steel or target at 25 yards the zero to headshot A zone. Both ways have some pluses/minus vs each other, but either for me superior to just the dot).

Did you have your slide milled or did you use the Leupold mount kit?   Or something else?

18 hours ago, trgt said:

Slide milled by Springer Precision.

Thanks.  I am turning a pistol into a CO gun, and am going to get the Delta Point.  I was looking for a short cut for mounting, but it seems like milling is really the best way to go.

Viper and 4 months of use every week and no battery change. It did come loose in a match probably because I didn't tighten it good. Zero was still the same and no issues since. That was 2 months ago. I shoot at least two to three times a week and this thing has worked flawlessly.

Like the OP, I'm considering these for a G34 MOS.  For those of you with the Viper, it appears that you lock in your zero with the screws in the end of the sight.  How do you do it with the rear sight of the pistol in the way?   

RMRs on the P07 and P09.  Dual illuminated models.  Amber dot is great, green dot not so great (even difficult to see) if I'm in low light and the target is in bright light.  The amber dot doesn't suffer from this problem.

DP Pro on the CZ 75 Compact.  Looks funny (big sight on a slender slide/pistol) but it works great.

DP Pro on an AR15 pistol (mounted, but not yet sighted in or shot enough to say if I like it or not).

The CZs have the slides milled to get the sight lower and the P07 and P09 also have back up sights milled into the slide.  The Compact uses the Leupold iron sight on the back of the DP Pro.

On 4/22/2017 at 6:40 PM, Broncman said:

Viper and 4 months of use every week and no battery change. It did come loose in a match probably because I didn't tighten it good. Zero was still the same and no issues since. That was 2 months ago. I shoot at least two to three times a week and this thing has worked flawlessly.

I wonder if if I got a bad one... I'm having a wondering zero problem. Gotta call vortex next week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad this topic is already on the first page here... I'm curious about this as well. I really want to get into carry optics. My intention is to use the same gun that I use as my hunting sidearm so it needs to be practical for night and day hunting alike. I love Vortex, always have... their warranty and customer service is outstanding, however I really am liking the idea of the RM05G (dual illumination). Vortex doesn't offer anything with fiber optic + tritium. 

Can anyone speak to how well this dot does (or the dual illumination series in general) in competition?

I bought and then immediately returned a dual illumination RMR. I really wanted to like it. I really did. It seems to work great in good lighting conditions but the second the light is dim it turns to shit and washes out a lot.

I have a Mepro 21 optic on a rifle and that works well even in low light that I have it on my HD rifle so I thought the Dual Illum RMR would also work well but the Mepro 21 is a giant optic with a huge fiber window thing to collect light and the RMR is a very small optic with a very small light collector.

If you are only ever going to use it in daylight where both you and the target are in day light I might suggest giving it a try but if you are ever in less than ideal lighting conditions; your in a darker area than the target I think you'll likely be disappointed.

Thanks Jesse, since posting I have seen a lot of reviews and heard opinions of others who are saying similar things. I ended up finding a deal on a Vortex Viper, so I jumped on that. Seems to be a popular choice as of late and I've never used a bad Vortex product.