Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What dot are you using on your pistols?

JesseM

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Glock 19 MOS so I can shoot the USPSA Carry Optics division. I'm leaning very heavily towards one of the Trijicon Dual Illumn models with the 9 MOA green dot because I think it looks cool and I like the idea of never having to fiddle with it once it's zeroed. I know the limitations for the Dual Illumn models but I played with the green version in the store and it was much brighter than any version of the amber colored options I've ever seen in a dual ilumn RMR.

What are you all putting on your pistols? Are there other good options out there?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just switched from an STS2, which I used at the Area 2 match, to a DP Pro. I wanted the bigger screen and steel screen protector. The STS2 is nice though and is a great price.

For me, being able to pick up the dot fast is a key purchase criteria. I do a lot of dry fire practise, but need all the help I can get - and so after using the STS2 for a while, I wanted the biggest screen possible.

I looked hard at the RTS2 as well. It has about the same screen size as the DP Pro, but it uses the same flimsy battery tray as the STS2. I had to carry a spare tray in my range bag. The DP Pro has a much better battery replacement system. Your battery WILL fail in the middle of a match.

Edited by selecw

How much does the size of the window matter vs the size of the dot for finding it though? I know there are options with larger windows but I though a 9 moa dot would make it easy to find.

4 hours ago, JesseM said:

How much does the size of the window matter vs the size of the dot for finding it though? I know there are options with larger windows but I though a 9 moa dot would make it easy to find.

I find practice dry and live is what gets the job done. Window size is relevant but not needed to be obsessed over

Why did you end up going with that one?

I wanted a cheap entry into CO, and 6 moa dot, I wanted a venom but no 6 moa in stock yet and vortex warranty. I got into CO for 260$ including the Springer precision dovetail mount.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is what I've tried in order...

Sig P320RX Romero 1 - I liked the large screen. However, the 3 MOA dot, although nice and bright, was too small for me.

Burris FastFire III - I had my CZ Shadow Slide Milled for the FFIII. I liked the 8 MOA dot better than 3 MOA but it may be a bit too large - or the window is too small. I prefered the larger window of the Romero1.

Vortex Viper 6 MOA - I wanted to try a dot with a larger window and a slightly smaller dot. However, I had to select a unit that fit my slide (milled for the Burris FF III) so I got a Viper.

So far, I like the Viper's 6 MOA dot and the larger window (over the FF III). But I was surprised at how much I REALLY like the lower profile of the Viper. If I bring the gun up and see the slide, I know it's a very small move down to get the dot. The FastFire III rides higher, if the dot doesn't come up, I have a harder time fishing for it.  The wider screen on the Viper has eliminated the dot being lost to the side for me (so far). Of course, I just got the Viper, dry fired with it once and shot it at range once, so, I'm still testing. But, so far, Viper is the winner... for now. One downside of the Viper is that you have to remove it from the slide to change the battery.

I thought about waiting for the Venom in 6 MOA as it has an even wider window but it is a bit shorter but I'm not very patient. It also has a wider window which is good but not as tall as the Viper.

38 minutes ago, Jerome said:

This is what I've tried in order...

Sig P320RX Romero 1 - I liked the large screen. However, the 3 MOA dot, although nice and bright, was too small for me.

I was considering this gun until I noticed that it is only cut to take their dot and that it was only a 3 MOA dot. I found that annoying and that's why I decided might as well go back to Glock.

Thank you for telling me what you liked about the Vortex options. Thank you.

5 slide mounted Burris FF3s, all 8 MOA and 2 slide mounted C-More RTS2v4s in 6 MOA. FF3s remove and replace without losing zero.  With the RTS you have to careful, because the holes in the mount are larger that the locating pins.  The RTS has a larger and more contrasty window, and the dot can be made brighter.

I have personal experience with 4 major red dots.

Trijicon RM02 6.5moa dot: I've got this on my Glock 19, with a pre-milled OneSourceTactical slide, a SilencerCo threaded barrel, and Suarez suppressor sights with a black square rear and fiber optic front.   The RMR has a super robust body and glass, but the thickness of the glass makes it a bit distorted and colored.  I would have no other sight on a carry gun, frankly, but I'd never use it for competition.  I haven't had to replace the battery yet and I've had it over a year.  It is on all the time.

Leupold DeltaPoint 7.5moa delta: I've got 3 of these!  One is on a Glock 17 with a milled OEM slide.  This is my CO pistol.  One is on a Glock 22 converted to 9mm with a milled OEM slide.  This is my home defense pistol.  One is on a quick release ADM mount on the rail of a KelTec Sub2000Gen2.  This is my PCC rifle.  I love the size of the window, I've had amazing battery life, but I'm not carrying any of these.  They are discontinued, which is a shame since they are my favorite sight!  It has zero parallax.  I owned a 3.5moa dot, too, but that one had way too much parallax and I sold it off my 3-gun shotgun.

Leupold DeltaPoint Pro 7.5moa delta: I just bought this last week and put it onto a new open Glock build on a frame-mounted SJC micro mount.  This window is even bigger than the original (We're talking CMore RTS2 size!) and the battery compartment is ingenious!  Since the body is so tall, I can't imagine being able to co-witness iron sights, especially on a Glock MOS.  I've had a lot of success with this reticle and I'd choose it every day of the week.  The point can be used for fine work and the whole triangle is great for fast target acquisition.  It turns on when you move it and turns off after it stops moving.

Vortex Venom 3moa dot: I bought it for my open pistol, originally, because the battery compartment is on top.  When I received it I was appalled by how small it really was and just knew it wouldn't work for me.  But the quality was great so I didn't want to return it.  I would never use it for a carry or self-defense pistol because you need to push a button to turn it on.  I know some people turn it on every morning and let it run all day, but that just doesn't sound right for my needs.  It comes with a pretty good pic rail mount so I put it on my 3-gun shotgun instead of the 3.5moa dot DeltaPoint that I had just sold.  It has no parallax and it will be great for that purpose since long arms don't move as much in relation to the eyes and the smaller window will be fine.

Edited by CHLChris

BTW, co-witnessing is completely unnecessary on a competition CO gun. You need to dry fire relentlessly until you can pick up the dot fast in all situations - from the draw, during transitions, on the move, strong and weak handed.

If the battery dies mid stage on a 25 second stage, so be it!  Plan better and replace it early next time.  

For a defensive gun, it's a different story of course.

Deltapoint Pro 7.5 MOA triangle on my carry optics CZs. I have friends who just prefer the 2.5 MOA dot on theirs, its certainly bright enought to not lose or wash out. But I find the larger triangle is just more visible for me at speed (just put red on target 15 yards and under), and there's some versatility with the triangle on how you use at longer distances. (I've variously tried 25 yard zero to tip of triangle, as well as lining up triangle to top of steel or target at 25 yards the zero to headshot A zone. Both ways have some pluses/minus vs each other, but either for me superior to just the dot).