Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M3K failure to feed question

jbird

Finally getting a chance to shoot my new M3K shotgun. Been shooting Winchester white box 3 dram 7 1/2 loads. (low brass RIO's wouldn't eject) I have installed a really long (holds 16 + 1) Nordic tube. The problem occurs on the first couple rounds on a full mag tube. The shell is ejected but the next round is still in the tube - Not on the lifter gate. As I manually cycle through the rounds it progressively gets more reliable the last 5 or so seem fine. A couple questions: 

• Could be be too long of a spring? 
  • Could it be too short of a spring? 
  • Do I need to spend some time shooting high brass to help break it in? 

Nothing has been done to the gun other than cleaning it and installing the tube. 

Thanks all! 

JP

How much spring do you have hanging over? Sounds like not enough spring. Most guys run 12, and occasionally 13rd tubes with 12 to 16 inches of spring overhang.
You shouldn't need to break in but some do. I ran 1145fps low brass right out of the box

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Like the above check your spring length

as for Rio's they have been pretty unreliable in my M3K-I think it has more to do with the rim on the shell

mine will run anything from federal-after breaking I found the top gun/pink 1145's to be my favorites 

Total spring length is 61". Yes,  two springs and two followers. So it's set up with a follower then a 48" spring, another follower and a 13" spring. 

Total tube length is 42" including the factory magazine under the handguard. 

So that is roughly 19" of extra spring. 

• 3 weeks later...
On March 13, 2017 at 9:07 AM, 12Bravo said:

Just out of curiosity,  would it make more sense to have equal length springs, or does that not matter? 

48" was the longest spring I could find. Going to cut some off and try it with 14" of spring overage and see if that helps. It might just be too much pressure at first. 

Make sure you polish the edge of the shell stop that contacts the shells in the mag tube. Some of the M3Ks have a pretty rough edge that can interfere with shells coming out of the tube under high tension. 

Edited by 12Bravo

1 hour ago, 12Bravo said:

Make sure you polish the edge of the shell stop that contacts the shells in the mag tube. Some of the M3Ks have a pretty rough edge that can interfere with shells coming out of the tube under high tension. 

Pictures please