Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor for practice?

3djedi

Would there be any benefit to do this?

You could use cheap coated bullets and much less powder. Maybe less wear and tear on the gun?

Just thought I'd post this out of curiosity. I'm new so please forgive me. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hello: You can use coated or plated bullets in major as well. Minor loads will have a different feel and the dot tracking will be different. They may not have the same point of impact as the major loads also. So the only savings would be a little bit of powder. I shoot coated bullets for practice and local matches and jacketed bullets for major matches or indoors. Thanks, Eric

I've shot Bayou coated for several years now and never a problem.

Shoot PD's and MG once in a while just to check and see if there is an advantage.

I haven't found it but you may

In any case practice with your match load

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Easier (LOTS easier) to load one load, sight it in, and use that one single load for everything, than

trying to adjust on the run and inventory different style ammo.    :) 

+1 for that.

3djedi make up your own mind.

True there may not be a particular advantage and cost savings may not be noticeable but unless you are really serious you are probably like me and enjoy shooting a lot of different gun and competitions that don't require major pf and if you're having fun and putting bullets down range that can only be a good thing.

i don't think plinking with a 22 will "spoil" your performance with 9 major so why would minor loads or 44 mag loads or anything else be a problem.

Different projectile or different colour primer make 2 loads easy to manage.

My Czechmate functions with just about anything and poi same only about 1 inch elevation difference but this is something you will have to test with your gun.

Shooting minor in practice will extend the life of your gun considerable, especially if you have a cut slide/skeletonized slide. The choice is up to you and dependent on how much you practice. If you only practice less than 200 rds per week, I really don't think it matters, but if you practice 5-600 rds per week, then maybe this is an option you should look at to extend the life of your gun. Bottom line is that it depends on your gun, and how much you practice.

As far as practice, you are primarily focusing on draw, grip, moving in and out of positions, shooting on the move, baricades, and target aquisition. Using minor will not impact your ability to focus on these fundamentals. You will have less dot movement with higher loads, but that is only a bonus. Accuracy differential will be minor.

Edited by abb1