Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP9 SFX Competition-Ready (Optics Ready!) Pistol

mreed911

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm open to the idea of this pistol, for the price. But a lack of customer available parts, holsters, and general aftermarket support are a concern. Especially if my gun breaks and I send it in for service... does it have to be on stock config to get warranty? Or If I have hacked on the insides would my warranty be voided.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but I wonder if this fits the USPSA box with the Mec-gar 20 round mags inserted? Mec-Gar 19 rounders makes a CZ to big for the box, I think? If this becomes USPSA Prod legal would we have to use the regular length mags for Production? And would these mags be under 140mm for eventual use in CO?

With CO I wouldn't use anything other than 140mm mags, so it wouldn't need to fit the production box.  I don't see ANY Canik pistols on the current production list, though.

So far, no response to my question to them about submitting it.  That means right now it's legal for Limited and Open.

Edited by mreed911

Picked mine up today haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but first impressions are good.  Had a Q5 match before and prefer this so far, Trigger is just as good or better and I like the ergos better as well. The sight plate/optic mounts are a good design with an exact fit i doubt you would ever need to re zero going back and forth.  Fit and finish looks good not much for tool marks or anything. Mags drop free nicely. Only complaint is the included holster isn't very good but I wasn't expecting to be.

9B4E5678-742D-4C8B-9946-21BF2A62BCE9.jpg

Notice I said decent. Yes, it comes with one, that is by all reports... sub optimal for shooting sports. And a Serpa is an AD waiting to happen imho. The one Canik holster I handled in the store seemed a little flimsy.

I'm looking for something on par with a Blade-tech kydex, that can be run on a DOH hanger.

22 minutes ago, 57K said:

Get what you think you need. The SFX is close enough in size to the Q5 that a Blade-Tech should work if they already make one for the Q5.

Reviews? Not knowing how many guys writing them are closer to beginner level than experienced makes them very subjective. Almost every pistol that comes out with a holster included, right off the bat the holster is assumed to be "cheap." I've been using the provided holster for around 16 months. I'd like to know how it could cause an AD? Flimsy is about the last term I'd use to describe mine.

why are you taking offense that some people have a different opinion than you do? You like the holster thats great. Others don't end of story. No one is right or wrong.

Edited by Garmil

I never said anything about an ad. I own one of these holsters also.  My problem with it is the fit when locked in is pretty sloppy. That and mine is built wrong has the lock on the side with the mount.

Sorry to stir the pot. Yes, its nice when the factory supplies a holster, its a nice freebie to have. I'm sure it serves your needs. I just prefer a very rigid version of how it attached to the belt...  a low hanging DOH type hanger.... 

The AD comments come from that the SERPA holsters have had a few incidents involving the manipulation of the lock during the draw, and where that puts your finger....  maybe this one is different, but it seems to be a direct copy of the SERPA. Different strokes.... if works for you, that's great, I just don't want a holster with a lock for competition, just my preference.

Not casting stones at the holster so much as expressing frustration that not many custom kydex makers have seem to come to the table yet for a Canik specific holster. I'm sure some Walther holsters would work just fine.

Got to shoot mine today.

No malfunctions and it felt good.

sights are on windage is perfect elevation is a touch high for how I like to aim but easy to adjust to.

did not lock back on an empty mag but I may have been riding the slide stop a little

the recoil spring is a few lbs too heavy for close to minor pf ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to shoot a friends SFx this weekend and the pistol ran fine with 147gr and 125 gr loads.  No failures encountered through 300 rounds.

IMHO, the SFx trigger out of the box is on par or slightly better than my PPQs (M1 9 and 40) that have extended round counts through them. I have not shot the Q5 Match, so I cannot give a comparison.  The SFx trigger break is down in the low 3 lb range.  Reset was also very good.

The sights were a little off, I was shooting to the left and this could be fixed easily. 

As shipped, the SFx had the "large' mag release button installed and I found this to alter my support hand.  I would have to change the mag release button to one of the included smaller mag release buttons.   I enjoyed shooting the SFx and I have decided that I will purchase one before years end.

Just got the SPX, looks to be a winner!. From what I have gathered, Canik USA has not bothered to submit ANY of their products to USPSA ( Troy, USPSA). It's difficult to believe that they just designed the SPX to be pretty???.... I've left emails with Canik USA, Century Arms, etc. No reply from anyone......

• 4 weeks later...

I shot a Canik the other day and was very surprised at it's accuracy! It was as good as anything I have shot!

As far as finishes go, properly applied KG Gunkote has no equal in the spray and bake products. That's my take. I have done a couple dozen guns when I had my shop and it wears phenomenally well. My two cents anyway.

Edited by Broncman

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2017 at 8:33 AM, mike NM said:

Just got the SPX, looks to be a winner!. From what I have gathered, Canik USA has not bothered to submit ANY of their products to USPSA ( Troy, USPSA). It's difficult to believe that they just designed the SPX to be pretty???.... I've left emails with Canik USA, Century Arms, etc. No reply from anyone......

Normal century arms behavior and they say EAA is bad!

This gun does look interesting.  Could be an inexpensive way to get yourself into 3-gun.  However, unless I am mistaken, the TP9 SFX as reviewed in the video cannot be used in Production.  No need bothering submitting a Production request.   By her on words and Canik's website, it is a single action only trigger.  In a round about way through the rules, it will not get on the list being SA.   There once was a rule that stated something like SA guns in Production are strictly prohibited.  It was removed for not needed, since the list is the rule. 

They do have other similar models that could make the list.  See website link. 

Just wanted to point this out in-case you spend your $$ on the TP9 SFX thinking one day production.  Of course Limited/L10 and Open are ready for you.

I think the positive point is, we are seeing a good bit of new polymer guns come to the market.  I have stressed about aftermarket parts and such in the past.  More and more I could care less.  I think if the manufacture/US support can stand behind their gun, I am good 2 go.  Less tinkering and more shooting. 

http://canikarms.com/series/tp-series/tp9-sfx

4 hours ago, rhett45acp said:

This gun does look interesting.  Could be an inexpensive way to get yourself into 3-gun.  However, unless I am mistaken, the TP9 SFX as reviewed in the video cannot be used in Production.  No need bothering submitting a Production request.   By her on words and Canik's website, it is a single action only trigger.  In a round about way through the rules, it will not get on the list being SA.   There once was a rule that stated something like SA guns in Production are strictly prohibited.  It was removed for not needed, since the list is the rule. 

They do have other similar models that could make the list.  See website link. 

Just wanted to point this out in-case you spend your $$ on the TP9 SFX thinking one day production.  Of course Limited/L10 and Open are ready for you.

I think the positive point is, we are seeing a good bit of new polymer guns come to the market.  I have stressed about aftermarket parts and such in the past.  More and more I could care less.  I think if the manufacture/US support can stand behind their gun, I am good 2 go.  Less tinkering and more shooting. 

http://canikarms.com/series/tp-series/tp9-sfx

Do you know this for sure?  There are other models on the production list that have triggers that function the same way this one does and they got approved just fine.

I am going to stick by my opinion.   No, it will not make the list.   In reality, Canik has not submitted one yet, why would this be different?

Curios, what models?  Educate me.  I see models similar to above, but SAO models are listed as prohibited.  Example SIG has some.

Still a neat looking gun with all you need to get going in the box, less a couple more mags.  IMHO I think the competition target market is 3Gun

BTW - For history sake, the verbiage was in the HG 2004 Edition.  Appendix D4 17 Single-action-only handguns are prohibited. First shot must be double action.

Looks like it was dropped in 2008.  History is Fun.

21 hours ago, rhett45acp said:

BTW - For history sake, the verbiage was in the HG 2004 Edition.  Appendix D4 17 Single-action-only handguns are prohibited. First shot must be double action.

Looks like it was dropped in 2008.  History is Fun.

The SFX is a striker-fired pistol with a trigger safety, e.g. a "safe action" pistol under the rules.

The larger point is Canik has never, to my knowledge submitted a pistol for review/inclusion onto the Production list and no alternate allowance has been made to use it specifically for CO so it's still not a legal competition pistol for Production or CO in USPSA.

I gave up on Canik USA/Century Arms..... Not even a reply to at least 5 emails.... Neither could be described as a "good business" model when you can't even receive the courtesy of a reply !!!!!. The ONLY good thing I see is at least they didn't use EEA as an importer.....

Edited by mike NM

On 5/22/2017 at 10:42 AM, mike NM said:

I gave up on Canik USA/Century Arms..... Not even a reply to at least 5 emails.... Neither could be described as a "good business" model when you can't even receive the courtesy of a reply !!!!!. The ONLY good thing I see is at least they didn't use EEA as an importer.....

EAA at least does USPSA production list submissions. ;-)

As of 23 May 2017, the Canik line has been added to the production list.  

"TP9 SA 4.47 inch bbl 9mm (28.8 oz.), TP9 SF 4.46 inch bbl 9mm (28.5 oz.), TP9 SF Elite 4.2 inch bbl 9mm (28.3 oz.), TP9 SFX 5.2 inch bbl 9mm (29.3 oz.)
All Canik models added May 23 2017"

8 hours ago, WxGuy said:

As of 23 May 2017, the Canik line has been added to the production list.  

"TP9 SA 4.47 inch bbl 9mm (28.8 oz.), TP9 SF 4.46 inch bbl 9mm (28.5 oz.), TP9 SF Elite 4.2 inch bbl 9mm (28.3 oz.), TP9 SFX 5.2 inch bbl 9mm (29.3 oz.)
All Canik models added May 23 2017"

That's awesome.  I might have to play with one of these now. :)