Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP9 SFX Competition-Ready (Optics Ready!) Pistol

mreed911

There's a review of Canik's new competition-ready pistol up.  Not sure I'm ready to trust this brand but $529 street price for an optics-ready pistol, warren tactical + fiber optic front sights,"competition" trigger system, mags with extended basepads, lightening cuts in the slide, etc. is interesting.

Their reviewer is easy on the eyes, too.

I've sent them a question about submitting the gun for the USPSA Production list and/or CO approval.

Edited by mreed911

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, 57K said:

...just wait and while until the TP9sfx starts showing up at matches.

For USPSA, at least, you'll have to wait for it to make the list.  Today it's not a competition-legal gun.  IDPA, NRA, etc., YMMV.

22 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

For USPSA, at least, you'll have to wait for it to make the list.  Today it's not a competition-legal gun.  IDPA, NRA, etc., YMMV.

Perfectly legal for uspsa just not in production division as of yet.

11 minutes ago, Garmil said:

Perfectly legal for uspsa just not in production division as of yet.

Fair enough. I should have specified.  If you think it's competitive in Limited or Open, feel free.  No Production = No CO unless they've received special approval for that (which I don't see they have, either).

While I realize her shooting would have likely been the same with another gun and she could probably still outshoot me, her performance left me a little disappointed :P I guess I've been expecting too much after watching Patrick Kelley's unboxing to match videos + Max Michel's demonstration of his 1911. Still would not mind owning a Canik though, the trigger sounds pretty great. Probably the second striker fired gun I've ever considered getting.

Good to know about the finish.  I'm interested, but not enough to buy a new gun - my G17 MOS is serving its purpose well right now.

I'd shoot one if they'd give me a setup as a sponsorship but I don't shoot well enough to believe that would happen (C class).

Edited by mreed911

Not sure.  I know the third-party coating I had done on my Tristar isn't holding up well, either, but I don't remember the brand.  I won a certificate for free coating, so I can't bitch too much.  Could be something in the coating they come with, though, that makes anything else not adhere well.  I seriously doubt mine was sanded/bead blasted first - probably just sprayed over the top.

57K, I hate to hear your story and the poor customer service that you have received with your Canik. Recently, I took a look at a Canik that this guy had at a local gun shop. While, I liked the feel of the gun and its features, one thing that I noticed was how his gun's finish looked (i.e. the Cerakote was thinly "applied"). I believe that you have a good gun with a poor finish and that is sad. That being said, poor customer service is not acceptable. Most of us work too dang hard for what we own to accept poor customer service. Fortunately, most handgun manufacturers understand that quality products and excellent customer service are pivotal for success. As for Cerakote, Duracoat, and many other coatings to metal, I personally just do not like them. However, I have had good luck with CVD, PVD, and PACVD "coatings", and metal/surface treatments like Blacknitride, Melonite, H&K's Hostile Environment and Tenifier. But you know, good old bluing is still my favorite. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, SOA1911 said:

57K, I hate to hear your story and the poor customer service that you have received with your Canik. Recently, I took a look at a Canik that this guy had at a local gun shop. While, I liked the feel of the gun and its features, one thing that I noticed was how his gun's finish looked (i.e. the Cerakote was thinly "applied"). I believe that you have a good gun with a poor finish and that is sad. That being said, poor customer service is not acceptable. Most of us work too dang hard for what we own to accept poor customer service. Fortunately, most handgun manufacturers understand that quality products and excellent customer service are pivotal for success. As for Cerakote, Duracoat, and many other coatings to metal, I personally just do not like them. However, I have had good luck with CVD, PVD, and PACVD "coatings", and metal/surface treatments like Blacknitride, Melonite, H&K's Hostile Environment and Tenifier. But you know, good old bluing is still my favorite. 

Most spray and bake finishes, regardless of how well prepped the metal is, will wear much more than hard chrome, nitride, PVD, etc. - fact.

My old Glock has the black worn off but the tennifer is still good, but shiny where its worn.

Any gun coming out of kydex is going to wear over time. Some finishes more than others.