Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prima V batch 16055 and CZ barrels.

B_RAD

My buddy  loads Prima V 3.5-6 with 147 Xtreme and he thinks it's a hot powder. 

What's your experience with this, is it a hot powder like TG? I think it's a cool powder.

This stuff has turned out to be junk!!!  The first batch I bought was great, clean, metered well, not smokey, and most importantly it was accurate. The other 19lbs I bought is junk. I can't get anything better than a 8" group at 20yrds. Nothing has changed on the press. I have triple checked everything. The guy that went in with me to purchase a crap load of this stuff is experiencing the same issue. Just to try and make it manageable we both changed OAL and tried 1.145, 1.135, 1.125, 1.115, and 1.110. We also tried 3.5, 3.4, and 3.3 which is basically 135pf, 133pf, and 130pf. They only thing we can come up with is that our first batch was from a different lot # and now we are stuck with a bunch of this stuff that is from a different batch #. First batch would consistently get a 2" group at 20yrds and now I'm lucky to get a 8" group at 20yrds. CRAP!!!

5 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

This stuff has turned out to be junk!!!  The first batch I bought was great, clean, metered well, not smokey, and most importantly it was accurate. The other 19lbs I bought is junk. I can't get anything better than a 8" group at 20yrds. Nothing has changed on the press. I have triple checked everything. The guy that went in with me to purchase a crap load of this stuff is experiencing the same issue. Just to try and make it manageable we both changed OAL and tried 1.145, 1.135, 1.125, 1.115, and 1.110. We also tried 3.5, 3.4, and 3.3 which is basically 135pf, 133pf, and 130pf. They only thing we can come up with is that our first batch was from a different lot # and now we are stuck with a bunch of this stuff that is from a different batch #. First batch would consistently get a 2" group at 20yrds and now I'm lucky to get a 8" group at 20yrds. CRAP!!!

Wow! What are the lot# of your old and new Prima V

Shot some more yesterday. 

I just noted the average and the Low. I do remember that the SD was around 8. 

Chrono 3.4 Prima V w/147 xtreme .356

Shadow orange
10 shot average 890 
Lo 877

Accu Shadow
10 shot average 890
Lo 873

Shadow 2
10 shot average 900
Low 877

3.4 Prima V w/147 zeros .355

Shadow Orange

8 shot average 893
Lo 885

I was surprised that the jacketed zeros seemed to shoot the same velocity as the plated.  I wonder if it's because they're .355 and the plated we're .356?

Edited by B_RAD

52 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Shot some more yesterday. 

I just noted the average and the Low. I do remember that the SD was around 8. 

Chrono 3.4 Prima V w/147 xtreme .356

Shadow orange
10 shot average 890 
Lo 877

Accu Shadow
10 shot average 890
Lo 873

Shadow 2
10 shot average 900
Low 877

3.4 Prima V w/147 zeros .355

Shadow Orange

8 shot average 893
Lo 885

I was surprised that the jacketed zeros seemed to shoot the same velocity as the plated.  I wonder if it's because they're .355 and the plated we're .356?

What's the accuracy?

On 3/25/2017 at 11:29 PM, SISIG said:

Wow! What are the lot# of your old and new Prima V

My first batch was #PB14385 and I was good to with that. 3.5gr at 1.145OAL with a 2" group at 20yrds. The other 19lbs are batch #PB15110 and I can't get a group under 8" with this crap. 

31 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

What's the accuracy?

Doesn't seem to be bad. It's way better than 8" at 20 yds I can tell you that. 

I haven't benched tested it but I've shot some off hand and have had some 3"-5" groups at 25-40 yds. 

Edited by B_RAD

I just got 11 lbs of Prima V in today, my batch # is 15276 so it must be older than y'alls  Batch #16055. I will be testing this week in my Accu-Shadow, G34, and STI DVC. from my ransom rest. I'll post the data. I'll be using Bayou 124TC and 147 TC, Precision Delta 124 JHP and 147 TC.

Looking forward to seeing your results Darrell, as I shoot many of the same bullets and powder.  I'm interested to see how your results compare to mine.

Sure wish I was within driving distance to relieve the gent that had the  'junk' prima V powder, of his pain. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any new data on this?

I finally got a chance to do a reloading session this week and had some issues with the powder settling.

I attach a motorized hair clipper to my powder hopper so the powder settles and I get more consistently throws. However with this powder (this is the only type of powder I've used like this) the variation in size causes them to separate when vibrated. So the largeneral pieces move to the top while the small pieces go to the bottom. 

This causes a large variation from small to big in my throw weights. More than .2gr.

Anyone else have issues wth this? For now I've turned off the clipper and stir the powder around every once in a while. If it doesnt stay consistent I may have to pass on this poweder.

24 minutes ago, Fantom919 said:

Anyone have any new data on this?

I finally got a chance to do a reloading session this week and had some issues with the powder settling.

I attach a motorized hair clipper to my powder hopper so the powder settles and I get more consistently throws. However with this powder (this is the only type of powder I've used like this) the variation in size causes them to separate when vibrated. So the largeneral pieces move to the top while the small pieces go to the bottom. 

This causes a large variation from small to big in my throw weights. More than .2gr.

Anyone else have issues wth this? For now I've turned off the clipper and stir the powder around every once in a while. If it doesnt stay consistent I may have to pass on this poweder.

Yes I've loaded several hundred rounds and still having issues. I can drop four 3.7gr charges for 14.8 grs three or four times and load a hundred and check it and it will be off a couple of tenths. I tried putting a vibratory on it for a few seconds a couple times ,it only seemed to settle the powder the first time I used it. Several hundred rounds later still having the problem. The powder is clean shooting and accurate enough for me but this powder dropping problem is a pain. I've about decided just to use a arrow on my knob that's on my adjustment of my powder measure. I've been wondering if anyone else is having this problem lol.