Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different bullet weights for practice/.learning?

90lxracer

This very well may fall into the whole "You're an idiot" area.. but I don't kow better at this point.. lol 

Would there be any *benefit* to using a higher powered ammo to really work on recoil/trigger control then move to softer shooting ammo? 

Say for a 9mm.. shoot a 115 gr at 1100fps round, then go to a 147gr sub round. 

In my limited testing and asking.. I've found the heavier stuff way more manageable.. but if I develop the same manner of control with the 115, would that put me that much further ahead going back to the heavier bullet?  

I don't think it will have the physical training effect you're looking for. However, cheaper bullets are good for increased practice. 

I know a lot of Production shooters do 124g for practice and 147 for matches. I've switched to only 147s for logistical reasons.

115s impact lower than 147s. What do you want to zero for?

In addition, practice is an opportunity to test the ammo you use for matches. I gauge my practice ammo just like my match ammo, I want an opportunity to test my hand loading practices away from the match.

Using different ammo in practice verses matches can be very distracting. Being distracted by different ammo in practice is not a big deal but during a match it can have a negative impact to your performance. There is enough to be distracted by in a match without manufacturing more distractions.

Practice with exactly what you compete with. Doing so will minimize distractions and allow you to get highly tuned into your stuff in how it feels or functions.

When I was hard up for powder, I played around with the idea of saving my softer-shooting ammo for matches and my 140pf stuff for practice. Practice was still useful, but if you're really trying to burn down fundamentals at warp speed, adding that difficulty factor may not be productive. It's probably more helpful to just get a boatload of your favorite components and not worry about it so much.

That said, I did shoot a 3-gun match with 210+ PF .45 ACP because it made me laugh.

No, don't do this. As someone who has switched loads a few times, generally trying to move towards a softer-shooting round that still makes PF, I can tell you that the transition is jarring.  Yes, the softer recoil feels super, extra, very soft by comparison, but I have "double clutched" during those ammo changeovers pretty much every time.  If you're expecting a bang and get only a bang, then your brain takes a second to figure out what's up... while staring at sights sitting completely static on the A-zone.  

If you want to condition yourself to heavier recoil, my suggestion would be to play with a completely different gun in a different caliber.  Go shoot a 44 magnum revolver or something.  Everything USPSA will feel soft by comparison, but the differences in the gun will be so obvious that even your subconscious won't wonder what's up.  

I personally used many different ammo last year but my shooting performance was the same. 

However, the weight of the bullets were always 124gr. The powder, bullet profiles and power factor were all different from 130pf to 141 pf both in practice and major matches. I shot 140pf at majors.

I recommend you to stick with one bullet weight.

I have used cheaper bullets for practice and didn't have any problems.  In my case the plated bullets were loaded with the exact same charge and die settings as the JHP bullets.  Only $30ish a thousand cheaper.  The plated would have been nearly (and occasionally were) as good as the more expensive jacketed bullets but the premium bullets give me a little extra confidence for matches.

6 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Using different ammo in practice verses matches can be very distracting. Being distracted by different ammo in practice is not a big deal but during a match it can have a negative impact to your performance. There is enough to be distracted by in a match without manufacturing more distractions.

Practice with exactly what you compete with. Doing so will minimize distractions and allow you to get highly tuned into your stuff in how it feels or functions.

I can get on board with this..  It's more of a thought if there was some manner of "gain" to be had is all.. I'm still at a point where I'm transitioning from a recreational shooter.. you know.. the guy who has guns.. is familiar with them.. BUt isn't all that skilled as far as technique and form.  

Seems as though this hook has sunk kind of deep here, and I'm going hyper-nerd with it.. lol

I was also given a couple thousand rds of the 115 ball ammo.. and some heavier stuff to try..and I do like the softer heavy bullet. But I have this other stuff.. and I'm not a reloader at this point. So, if I can make practical use of the stuff I have, seems like it'd be a smart thing to do. 

9 minutes ago, Pasley said:

I have used cheaper bullets for practice and didn't have any problems.  In my case the plated bullets were loaded with the exact same charge and die settings as the JHP bullets.  Only $30ish a thousand cheaper.  The plated would have been nearly (and occasionally were) as good as the more expensive jacketed bullets but the premium bullets give me a little extra confidence for matches.

A couple weeks ago there was a guy selling some 147gr subs that were coated, and I bought a box just to try. I have to say.. those were the flattest or softest shooting rounds I've used so far.  I only bought 1 box as I didn't know what to expect, and I'd like to get some more to try.. I'm still very early in the feeling out stage of this, and also figuring out more of the true practical fundamentals of shooting in general. For a while, I'm going to be limited as to what I can try, as it will have to come from something I can just go buy. 

If you are not reloading yet then you are putting the cart before the horse. Don't worry so much about the ammo until you can be 100% in control of what you are using by reloading it yourself.

With you being a newer shooter I am sure there are a lot of other things to improve upon verses worrying about ammo. At your stage in the game if the ammo goes "BOOM" every time that should be good enough to get the job done.

7 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

If you are not reloading yet then you are putting the cart before the horse. Don't worry so much about the ammo until you can be 100% in control of what you are using by reloading it yourself.

With you being a newer shooter I am sure there are a lot of other things to improve upon verses worrying about ammo. At your stage in the game if the ammo goes "BOOM" every time that should be good enough to get the job done.

I won't argue the cart and horse thing AT ALL!!! lol I'll just call it "looking at the big picture" vice, looking at the details.... Makes me feel better about it.. lol 

That's completely understandable, I know I have tons to work on.. and worse yet.. there's the whole not knowing what I don't know thing.. I mean, with anything.. as you become more adept with something, you realize what your gaps are and can work to fill in those are far asn performance and training. there there's that stage where you haven't the foggiest what you don't know in the first place.. I'd say I'm solidly there.. BUT freely able to admit it. 

So.. I very well will in all likelihood ask some asinine questions for not knowing any better! lol