Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal primers temp sensitive?

stardust tommy

Hi

I have shot hundreds of rounds without missfires, carmonized hammer, stock mainspring, full compression (over 6 lbs triggerpull with 11lbs rebound spring)

yesterday we had a local pin match in an old fortress (colder, more humidity) and we had sudently a lot of misfire in 3 revolvers, al set up the same exept for 1 mod 64 with standard hammer.

I shot a 686-5 wich didn't misfire for the last thousand rounds, but I just switched to an C&S extended firingpin to test with less mainspringtension, but I schot with full compression of the mainspring.

I think it is a primer problem, al revolvers shot with primers of the same lot

Unless you have your hammer force at the ragged edge of reliability it shouldn't give you that much difference.  I've tested the SPP from around 0 to 80 F in the last few months.  Are you sure the primers are fully seated?

48 minutes ago, alecmc said:

60 degrees cold? You must live in Nevada or something. 

+1 Match this Saturday will be 20-30. I'd suspect ammo or gun before the primers.  In the guns I've lightened I've had zero changes in sensitivity between Federal, CCI, Remington, or Winchester in your temperature range.

I had similar problems with a batch of ammo I loaded on my 550. I believe my shell plate was tilting slightly. I am much better about making sure the shell plate is a tight as possible, but I still seat primers by hand for the .38.

10 hours ago, VanMan1961 said:

is it possible that the cooler temperatures may have affected the oil/lube used on your handgun internals?  I learned early not to over-lube :)

This was the first thing that occurred to me also.  

I use a little bit of PTFE grease inside... maybe it is just a little to thick 

when I adjust my 550 I put 4 cases in the shellholder, turn the screw down to where the shellplate won't turn anymore, back up a tiny bit to when the shellplate starts to turn again and lock the locking screw. this way the shellplate is adjust to that batch with the same headstamp...

gr T

Check to see if the firing pin spring is broken.  It can break in half and partially collapse giving some return, but with increased resistance.  For all gun lube inside and out I use mobile 1 synthetic oil.

Let me tell you the correct place to use grease...in the wheel bearings of your vehilcle.  Not in your revolver.  [emoji4]

I grease the double action sear surfaces and the trigger/cylinder stop interface. The rotating parts get oil.

• 1 month later...

Ive had this happen 4 years ago. I was shooting in the spring and shot a match Saturday and it was sunny and 60 degrees out. Gun ran fine.
Sunday however it was 30 degrees in the morning and I got miss fires in the gun on the same ammo. I changed the strain spring and rebound spring to wolf factory springs(i happened to carry them with me) and the gun ran the rest of the day without issues.. cold weather effects metal and springs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk