Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight mounted red dot

jkatz44

Looking at playing in some carry optics...without having to mill the slide. Saw that some optics are able to be mounted directly to the rear dovetail which sounds like the way to go for me...

Which brings up the question...which optic/gun to choose...I have M&P (9L) Glock (non MOS), and CZ to choose from. And thinking about leaning toward vortex (viper/venom?) or fastfire 3 (but don't like that there is no 6moa option).

any opinions? Are there dovetail mounts made for the above mentioned gun/optic combinations? Any info is apppeciated. 

Edited by jkatz44

I have seen an option from Strike Industries for Glock that adds a little pic rail attached to the back plate, but that raises a sight way too high.  The lower the better.  The higher it gets, the more work you'll have to do getting used to indexing the sight.  Unfortunately, dovetail mounts don't allow cowitness with sights.  Milling is best for that reason, but to just get started, a dovetail mount could work great.  That's how I started (with a Leupold DeltaPoint on a Glock).

I have a 3moa Venom and like it on a 3-gun shotgun rail, but for pistol work I would suggest a 6moa dot, so that would mean a Viper or wait until April when the 6moa Venom becomes available.  Those windows are pretty small so will require a lot of dry fire practice to be able to consistently find the dot.

I used a Springer Precision slide adapter/mount on my 5.25-inch XDM to attach a Burris Fastfire 3.  It's installed by removing the OEM rear sight and using the mounting hole in the slide to attach the adapter plate.  Make sure to use blue loctite and let it cure for a minimum of 24 hours before use.  It was an inexpensive way of creating a Carry Optics pistol.