Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Safety

RickT

I understand that PCC typically runs about 200 fps faster than the same round out of a handgun.  I haven't seen any issues with folks shooting PCC at our scaled down stages or at sanctioned SC matches.  I'm sure USPSA did some research in advance of approving the PCC SC divisions.  Can someone provide a point of contact who might be able to share the relevant data?  I'm working up some range management guidelines with some discipline-specific information and I'd like to have something in hand that makes the range owner comfortable with PCC.

We're all familiar with the cautions on various websites: angle targets downward, minimum target range 10 yards, etc.  Frankly, I can't see how 10 yards versus 7 yards would make an difference whatsoever and I assume factory ammo out of a PCC is running slower than a hot USPSA open gun.  I think the best talking point might be the lower muzzle velocity of PCC versus open guns since it's not unusual for USPSA major shooter to use the same handgun/load in SC.

7 hours ago, RickT said:

We're all familiar with the cautions on various websites: angle targets downward, minimum target range 10 yards, etc.  Frankly, I can't see how 10 yards versus 7 yards would make an difference whatsoever and I assume factory ammo out of a PCC is running slower than a hot USPSA open gun.  I think the best talking point might be the lower muzzle velocity of PCC versus open guns since it's not unusual for USPSA major shooter to use the same handgun/load in SC.

Correct.  You can discuss it from both the standpoint of "USPSA Open guns run at a significantly higher velocity" or you can talk about "USPSA Open guns run Major power factor instead of Minor while still using the same or similar bullets as PCCs."

Lots of people shooting Open use 124gr or 125gr bullets---to make Major, it has to run at least 1331 ft/sec.  (And most people try to put at least a little cushion there, so most Open folks have muzzle velocities over 1370.)  PCC shooters using the same bullet (which is pretty common) can run theirs at 1010.  PCC shooters using 147 gr bullets can run them at 851 (if it'll run the gun).

And don't forget that Major used to be 175---which means that Open shooters used to shoot 124gr bullets over 1400 ft/sec to make Major, and did so for years, while shooting steel targets at close distances...24 feet.

In other words, USPSA and Steel Challenge shooters shooting Open have been shooting steel targets with the same bullets going much faster for years without issue.

Thomas and Zach, thanks.  I will email Troy and I think relating PCC to open guns is strong.  I would be good if USPSA collected data on splatter-related incidents requiring more than a band-aid which I think we all know to be extremely rare.  I think the biggest issue I need to address has nothing to do with steel challenge; the wide bay we use has cowboy stages on each side.  I need to ensure that splatter can't deflect off of one of the cowboy targets and exit the range at an undesired angle.  

5 minutes ago, RickT said:

Thomas and Zach, thanks.  I will email Troy and I think relating PCC to open guns is strong.   

I can see the powers that be saying," time to ban Open guns". :)

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

I can see the powers that be saying," time to ban Open guns". :)

I would expect that all "Open" guns are shooting reloads.  My "Open " steel load was a 115 gr. bullet @ 1135 fps (130 PF).  Later I dropped to a 95 gr. bullet running 1235 fps (117 pf).  My PCC load is a 124 gr. running 1017 fps (126 pf).  A stock 9mm pistol shooting factory ammo can run 1145 fps (142 pf).  As a former Steel League match director, I wouldn't worry about PCC.

Just as a data point - I've chronoed 115gr Winchester white box 9mm out of my 16" pcc at 1400fps (about 160pf).  I find the 16" pcc gains about 15-20 pf over my 9mm gamer pistol loads shot from a 5" gun

Good Luck!! 

2 hours ago, PPGMD said:

Action Targets actually recommends that faster bullets are better for shooting steel. They claim that slow powder puff loads produce more frag.

+1.  It's my understanding that the fast movers willl essentially disintegrate on impact, whereas a slow mover is more likely to remain intact and deflect/bounce back.  That's why the steel rule used to be:  must have a muzzle velocity above 700fps.  The rule for no magnum loads doesn't have anything to do with ricochets, but rather to protect the steel plate from damage.