Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Palmetto State AR9

I have  PSA 9 with the 16 inch Key mod upper. Runs everything I've put through it. Including aluminum case federal. Bayou reloads, you name it, including some random range pick ups. 

I bought the upper and lower on their weekly special. 598$ shipped.

I do wish it would love open on a empty mag, but it's no big deal. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my PSA AR9 for a few months, about a 1,000 rounds of my own reloads down range.  ZERO issues.

I changes the hammer/trigger springs out, added a heavy buffer, and a scope.

Very accurate and reliable.  I want another.

It was the bolt. My Spinta blem. bolt came in today, & I could see the obvious Glock cut on the bottom compared to my old bolt. Old bolt is back in my Colt style SBR, new bolt in my PSA Glock gun. All good. 

Love my psa build, 

$420 keymod 9mm upper 

$110 9mm forged lrbho glock

$140 moe acs-l ept lower kit

$70 magwell and muzzle brake 

$30 pinty holo dot optic

$20 jp spring ,trigger screw

$790

Only 1 ftfeed on my reloads since I don't case gauge my 9mm and it was bulged. 

Edited by GJGary

I just got my AR9 10.5 pistol(glock lower) together, and first time out with it I'm encountering an issue where I fire, the gun cycles, but trigger isn't resetting.  It does this with hot factory ammo as well as my 147 reloads. Sometimes I can go through a whole mag without an issue, other times it does it every other round.  It does it with pmags and ETS, I didn't try a glock factory mag yet.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem with the OEM Mil-spec trigger.  I'm assuming that is what you're using.  I use the factory Glock mags so I doubt that your mags are an issue.

Any little bit of grit under the disconnector seems to prevent consistent resets. Get enough and it can lock up the trigger totally. 

I simply flushed out the trigger well with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and it worked fine.  The down side is that as you fire the carbine dirt and grit will build up in the trigger well.  The reset issue then reoccurs and usually in the middle of a stage. A "dirty" powder makes this occur faster. 

I cured the problem by installing a Hiperfire Hipertouch 24C.

I had the same problem with the OEM Mil-spec trigger.  I'm assuming that is what you're using.  I use the factory Glock mags so I doubt that your mags are an issue.

Any little bit of grit under the disconnector seems to prevent consistent resets. Get enough and it can lock up the trigger totally. 

I simply flushed out the trigger well with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and it worked fine.  The down side is that as you fire the carbine dirt and grit will build up in the trigger well.  The reset issue then reoccurs and usually in the middle of a stage. A "dirty" powder makes this occur faster. 

I cured the problem by installing a Hiperfire Hipertouch 24C.

Thanks XD I'll give that a shot.
I just got my AR9 10.5 pistol(glock lower) together, and first time out with it I'm encountering an issue where I fire, the gun cycles, but trigger isn't resetting.  It does this with hot factory ammo as well as my 147 reloads. Sometimes I can go through a whole mag without an issue, other times it does it every other round.  It does it with pmags and ETS, I didn't try a glock factory mag yet.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

Since this was the first time out I'm guessing you have a trigger group that has a lower rounded hammer. It's probably just not tall enough to reliably reset. Lots of triggers have this problem in 9mm ARs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this was the first time out I'm guessing you have a trigger group that has a lower rounded hammer. It's probably just not tall enough to reliably reset. Lots of triggers have this problem in 9mm ARs.

So what's the remedy for this?
Or a different hammer. 

True, but most trigger kits with issues are pre-assembled (Timney, CMC, Elfman, Velocity, AR Gold, etc) and changing the hammer is not really easy or advisable.

As far as I can tell the problem stems from the hammer height and corner radius as it pertains to the top edge of the hammer face where in contacts the bolt carrier bottom. This Velocity trigger is pretty representative of the issue. Note the extreme radius of the hammer.

bbede3d3b8ecb883c5d2399a6d039ff9.jpg

ODP1911, can you post a photo of your hammer?  It may clarify the issue.

The OEM Mil-spec hammer in my PSA AR-9 does have a radiused corner.  However, the flat portion of the hammer face is a good 1/4-inch taller than my Hiperfire 24C trigger hammer which works perfectly.  If you have the same OEM trigger and hammer, the radius may not be the root cause of the reset issues.

Edited by XD Niner
1 hour ago, librarian45 said:

the extractor on my broke 300 rounds in, but it's run like a champ since i send the bolt back to them for repair

On the customer service side of things, did they give you an option to replace the extractor if they sent you a new one or did they give you the only option to send back the bolt for repaid?

To OP:  Approaching 500 rounds in my PSA AR9, beyond the wonky LRBHO not working 100%, it has been fantastic so far, oh the stupid birdcage looks dumb. :)

I'm running a psa colt lower with their basic slick side upper 

to get it to run required a few a basic mods

1. The bolt catch was too long and with a loaded mag, it would touch the rounds in the mag causing feeding issues and would yard sale the rounds when I ejected a loaded mag, I filed about 1/8" off the tip to solve that 

2. The stock buffer spring would over travel the bolt catch by about an inch, a put a spacer in the spring to fix it

3. I bent the ejector slightly towards the middle to give it more contact on the ejecting round

4. Mine came with their enhanced milspec trigger group, i cut the hammer spur off, and replaced the stock springs with JP

gave me a pull of just under 4 lbs

I've  put 1000 rounds without any issues since 

ODP1911, can you post a photo of your hammer?  It may clarify the issue.

The OEM Mil-spec hammer in my PSA AR-9 does have a radiused corner.  However, the flat portion of the hammer face is a good 1/4-inch taller than my Hiperfire 24C trigger hammer which works perfectly.  If you have the same OEM trigger and hammer, the radius may not be the root cause of the reset issues.

I cannot say for certain it's the hammer radius, but since that rides the bolt bottom it makes the most sense. Here's how another forum member fixed it:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/241027-atc-gold-triggers-for-pcc/