Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg Shockwave

Ok, fess up, who's buying one? I saw they are starting to ship and have seen a few pictures of them in the wild. I've always been a fan of pistol grip shotguns and recognize their limited uses, but for those things they really excel. I've wanted to do an SbS side by side but haven't been able to get a deal on a donor gun thus far. 

so this shockwave has a 14" barrel and longer grip, so it's non-NFA. Classified as a firearm, not shotgun, so must be 21 to buy and all that stuff. All of my competition shotguns seem to be like 5 feet long and unwieldy. 

Not sure if it's legal to conceal or transport loaded in vehicle, many state laws don't mention them it seems. it seems like it would be interesting for a close in stage in 3 gun, but not sure I would give up the control of a real stock to that of a PG, but it also seems fun and I'm all for shooting fun stuff. 

I'm also hearing with aquilla mini shells you can wedge like 9 in there, making it a 9 round, 12 gauge that's a hair over 26" long. 

I don't need it. I don't know what I would do with it or what niche it would fill. But I want it. Who's with me?

• 2 months later...

Here it is with said birds head. The shockwave 14s they are doing right now are so close to this it's scary. I don't think my balls are that big to try one. This is not fun to shoot either

CB546C9F-B56D-463F-B6EC-0F4E4DF57657_zps

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally received my Shockwave. It's a lot of fun. I find it very fast to shoot and have fired everything from lighter loads to 1⅛ oz. bird shot as well as buckshot. I don't find it to be heavily recoiling. I think it's more jumpy than anything, but I really find it so handy that it's addictive. I look forward to shooting some slugs and 3" buckshot.

20 hours ago, Forrest Halley said:

So that extension is somehow giving you extra capacity??

It will give you one extra round for 2 3/4" and two extra round if you are using the aguila minishells.......oh you didn't see that; read on the bottom of the pic.

Edited by TRUBL

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

It will give you one extra round for 2 3/4" and two extra round if you are using the aguila minishells.......oh you didn't see that; read on the bottom of the pic.

No I haven't had any experience with the mini shells and was wondering if the pointy thing gave you an extension. I didn't see anything like that written underneath. Neat.

• 3 months later...

I need to read more.  I had no idea that the Shockwave was non-NFA (or is it?  not familiar with Form 1).   Does that also apply to the Remington 870 Tac-14?  Looks very similar.

I see Palmetto has the Shockwave available and on sale for just under $360.

Oh so tempting.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

The Tac 14 is Remington's answer to the shockwave.  I prefer Remington's but they don't seem to be out yet for sale?  I decided to pick up a Mossberg to play with since they are cheap!  Fun to play with,  I will still get the Tac 14 when it comes out. 

I see from their website PSA now has the Remington Tac-14 in stock on sale at $379.99 with free shipping.  Offer expires Wednesday (Aug 30th) at 12 PM.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/remington-870-tac-14-12ga-pump-shotgun-81230.html

It looks like they still have the Shockwave in stock too.

Be still my beating heart.

Update: I just noticed that the Shockwave is not for sale to residents of Texas and Ohio.  I've emailed PSA asking if this ban also applies to the Tac-14.

Another update:  The Shockwave is legal in Texas after September 1st  (HB 1819 passed May 2017).

Edited by Flatland Shooter

On 8/28/2017 at 0:47 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

I see from their website PSA now has the Remington Tac-14 in stock on sale at $379.99 with free shipping.  Offer expires Wednesday (Aug 30th) at 12 PM.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/remington-870-tac-14-12ga-pump-shotgun-81230.html

It looks like they still have the Shockwave in stock too.

Be still my beating heart.

Update: I just noticed that the Shockwave is not for sale to residents of Texas and Ohio.  I've emailed PSA asking if this ban also applies to the Tac-14.

Another update:  The Shockwave is legal in Texas after September 1st  (HB 1819 passed May 2017).

where did you find that Ohio info? I can't find anything on PSA and it let me put it in my cart for Ohio delivery?

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

where did you find that Ohio info? I can't find anything on PSA and it let me put it in my cart for Ohio delivery?

Under the info for the Mossberg Shockwave you will find the firearm is not available to residents of Texas and Ohio.  I asked them if this also applied to the Remington Tac-14 and they said yes, that the guns were essentially identical.

Since the law in Texas changes today (Sept 1st) I asked if I could order one while they were on sale (ended on the 30th) and they would not.

I want one oh so bad and will likely end up buying one later this year or early next year. As for missing out on the sale Flatland, PSA has been running them on sale pretty regularly so just wait a week or 2 and it'll show back up on sale again.

9 hours ago, MustangMan said:

As for missing out on the sale Flatland, PSA has been running them on sale pretty regularly so just wait a week or 2 and it'll show back up on sale again.

I mentioned I wanted one to my LGS and turned out he had two in stock.  Picked one up early Friday (the first "legal" day in Texas).  I've not had a chance to shoot it but its built like a tank.