Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 9mm to 40 questions

Sig0431

Few questions for you all

1. I currently shoot USPSA with my P320 in 9mm. I have been considering converting to 40. I have read many sites that state that you can convert 40 to 9mm with just a barrel change but from 9mm to 40 you must replace the slide and the barrel. Take a look at the below picture of my P320, I seem to have a large gap around the 9mm barrel and while I do not have a 40cal barrel on hand I have not seen a 9mm p320 with this much of a gap and I am wondering if a 40 cal barrel would fit in my slide.

2. Does anyone here shoot Limited with a P320 in 40? I am trying to make up my mind as to convert my P320 to 40 or just bite the bullet and obtain a STI DVC Limited, CZ TSO etc (after some continued research). I know that the conversion to 40 will be cheaper but will also require a new magwell purchase and install, new set of mags, new sights etc etc. As well If I do convert the Sig I will be waiting until they release the slides, barrels and grips for the new P320 X Five before I conduct this conversion.

Barrel.jpg

Breach face is likely too small to accept a 40S&W round, so that alone will require a new slide.

More than likely the gap above the barrel is to accommodate for the barrel tilt during recoil.  Without the gap, the barrel & slide will bind.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll be better served buying a new gun. But, that is good news in reality, no?

10 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Breach face is likely too small to accept a 40S&W round, so that alone will require a new slide.

More than likely the gap above the barrel is to accommodate for the barrel tilt during recoil.  Without the gap, the barrel & slide will bind.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll be better served buying a new gun. But, that is good news in reality, no?

Thanks for the input and you are right a new gun is never really bad news hahaha just will take a while with a military pay check but just gives me more time to research.

The gap above the muzzle is normal, and is there to allow for the barrel to unlock as the slide moves rearward.  However, while a .40 can be converted to a 9, the reverse isn't true due to the the breach face, so you will need a new slide.

As you are going to be waiting a bit before moving out with whatever decision to make regarding a limited option in .40, I recommend checking out the X-5 option rather than moving straight to an STI - Phil Strader designed the gun for the Limited division.  The X-grip has both an integral steel magwell and a grip weight, the factory mags are 140mm, and Dawson adjustable rear and fiber optic front sights are standard.  It also has the slide cut for an optic should you want to give that a go.  So, all you should need would be the slide/barrel, grip, and mags.  Even if Sig doesn't offer the X-series as an x-change kit, it will still be less than half the cost of an STI for a complete gun, and you would be using the same platform across all of the shooting sports you are participating in.

Of course, if you want an STI...

3 hours ago, Vizorn said:

The gap above the muzzle is normal, and is there to allow for the barrel to unlock as the slide moves rearward.  However, while a .40 can be converted to a 9, the reverse isn't true due to the the breach face, so you will need a new slide.

As you are going to be waiting a bit before moving out with whatever decision to make regarding a limited option in .40, I recommend checking out the X-5 option rather than moving straight to an STI - Phil Strader designed the gun for the Limited division.  The X-grip has both an integral steel magwell and a grip weight, the factory mags are 140mm, and Dawson adjustable rear and fiber optic front sights are standard.  It also has the slide cut for an optic should you want to give that a go.  So, all you should need would be the slide/barrel, grip, and mags.  Even if Sig doesn't offer the X-series as an x-change kit, it will still be less than half the cost of an STI for a complete gun, and you would be using the same platform across all of the shooting sports you are participating in.

Of course, if you want an STI...

I cant tell you how many times I have had this same conversation with myself. But for the love of god as much as I love Sig, their inability to update customers is beyond frustrating. At Shot Show they said March, now I am hearing June (not from Sig). My gut tells me that I will be able to get my hands on the X-5 well before I can afford a STI unless I can find a great deal on a pre-owned 2011. I might just buy the new P320 instead of waiting on the parts but the fact that I cant plan out when it will be released and that there is been no other coverage on the weapon since shot show is soooo frustrating. But I am a Sig Fan Boy so I will be more than willing to wait in line upon release day!

Completely understand.  Many of us have been anticipating this since we were teased with the original "Target" model at last year's SHOT show.  But, looking at the evolution of the platform since then, it appears Sig has been incorporating design improvements with each big contract they have been chasing.  The "Target" was certainly not ready to go, and there would have been a lot of unhappy people who felt like beta testers while Sig made incremental improvements had it been released too soon.  Sig seems to be doing it right, and I'm really hoping the wait will be worth it.  It shouldn't be too much longer.