Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patriot Defense Tuneup

ts111

Patriot Defense did a tuneup on my Stock 2. The trigger is amazing, 1lb 13oz SA and sooooo smooth! Joe was great to deal with and communicates throughout the process. I  highly recommend them if you need any work done.

Thanks Joe

1 hour ago, ts111 said:

Patriot Defense did a tuneup on my Stock 2. The trigger is amazing, 1lb 13oz SA and sooooo smooth! Joe was great to deal with and communicates throughout the process. I  highly recommend them if you need any work done.

Thanks Joe

Thank-you Sir for the kind words! We hope you enjoy your pistol.....

12 hours ago, ts111 said:

Thanks Joe

What have been done, which parts installed ?

About DA, what is the weight ?

PD lists a description of the work included in the tune up on their website. I had them do the tune up and install the Titan hammer, BOLO, Extreme sear, sear housing, Extreme extended FPB and Extreme trigger.

DA is 6lb 2 oz.

On 09/03/2017 at 1:24 PM, PatriotDefense said:

Customer requested the gun to be setup to reliable set off Win and CCI primers, if my memory serves me correct he has a 14lb hammer spring which gives right at a 6lb DA and the SA set a bit below 2lbs......

What would be recommended to achieve 5lb DA 2 SA, setting off Magtech primers only ?

Thanks!

A 5lb DA is rather light. Very light. With a very well polished gun and a 12lb PD spring you can probably hit that. 

With an extremely slick gun and a 13lb PD you can get into the low 5's on some guns.

The primary issue is... it varies a lot from gun to gun. My SA is half a pound heavier with the same hammer spring than most guys here in this forum. Tolerances from Tanfo to Tanfo vary much much more than they do in most other platforms. Quoting a specific trigger weight can really only be done with a "plus or minus half a pound from gun to gun" stipulation written in bold at the top.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

How hard are magtech primers? I never used them.

Compared to federal? Win? Wolf? Cci?, S&B?

Some of the eastern European primers are somewhat "variable" in sensitivity between lots and within lot. I have had real good luck popping SB primers with low 5# trigger pull weight (over 5k run)... and some in the next batch bought that failed  to pop  unless using the factory hammer spring (in SA!).

AS you know, light DA pulls require VERY uniform ammo and easy to pop primers.

5 hours ago, johnbu said:

How hard are magtech primers? I never used them.

Compared to federal? Win? Wolf? Cci?, S&B?

Some of the eastern European primers are somewhat "variable" in sensitivity between lots and within lot. I have had real good luck popping SB primers with low 5# trigger pull weight (over 5k run)... and some in the next batch bought that failed  to pop  unless using the factory hammer spring (in SA!).

AS you know, light DA pulls require VERY uniform ammo and easy to pop primers.

They're about like CCI, IME.

Well...

Polish the insides of the gun. EVERY pivot point (pin and hole). Polish EVERY sliding surface... both sides.  Example, trigger  bar and the inside of the frame. Polish the firing pin and especially the hole.  mirror bright.  Polish and tune the  firing pin block. replace factory springs with PD trigger, sear and firing pin return spring.

Then run it for 500-1000 rounds, detail strip, CLOSE inspect, polish anything showing rubs. Then try 13, 14, 15.5 PD. Pick the one that gives reliable ignition. Probably the 14, but maybe the 13.

On 3/11/2017 at 11:45 PM, cjsn said:

What would be recommended to achieve 5lb DA 2 SA, setting off Magtech primers only ?

Thanks!

a lot of polishing, and even more hard work on the reloading side to ensure that your seating those primers at least .010" below flush. Folks are quick to blame the gun if something fails to fire when most of the time its improper reloads or ammo being used.

1 hour ago, PatriotDefense said:

a lot of polishing, and even more hard work on the reloading side to ensure that your seating those primers at least .010" below flush. Folks are quick to blame the gun if something fails to fire when most of the time its improper reloads or ammo being used.

This ^^.

But, the gun (if 9mm) is almost certainly in need of a chamber ream to correct the dimensions. Then planting the primers fully down will solve nearly all of the remaining of the problems.

I signed up for the barrel reaming. One of my bullets barely has any bearing surface showing. This round is 1.050" long where I normally shoot this around 1.140". I know I can send in a round with the barrel. What can I expect after the reaming? Thanks.

shortc.jpg

A 135hr Black Bullet International slug had to be loaded shorter than 1.115" with my stock barrel.

After a trip to Grams Engineering I could plunk the dummies I sent in with the barrel and they spun freely. They were at 1.160"

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

At least .010"?

I can't get a Winchester deeper than .008" with A Dillon 650 and a shim under the primer seating punch. .005" -.008" was as deep as they'd go.

They ran like a champ with a 13 lb Patriot spring and a 5.5lb DA trigger, however.

time for a 1050...... :)

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

More just set the gun up so it doesn't need princess ammo. I'm learning to row a 6.75lb DA trigger pretty well.

Well thats one band-aide to put on a broken leg.... however that doesn't help the guys out who are asking how to set off CCI primers with a light DA pull. 5-1/2-6lb DA is extremely doable and still have a gun thats 100% with wins, and CCI's........ To take the ammo out of this equation the primers need to be seated deep, not everyone is interested in a 7lb + DA pull and a gun that has a FP that can punch holes in depleted uranium panels...... I also understand your side of the argument... to each their own