Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GMR-13 Mag Release

I'm planning to shoot my first match this weekend with my new rifle and have been practicing reloads.  I can't consistently drop the mag using just my trigger finger.  If i use my thumb its O.K. but seems slower.  I've searched and found this issue mentioned but can't find a solution.     An Odin part has been suggested but it doesn't look like it fits.  Has anyone found a solution?  Lighter spring?   

Not saying this will fix issue, but...

Possibly trim a coil off the mag catch spring? Having trouble reaching the pad or getting enough pressure on it? If it's a reach issue, the spring adjustments won't help, but if the issue is just being able to actuate it, then it might be worth trying...

A friend of mine has the exact same problem with his JP GMR – 13. To make matters worse, it's a California model with the bullet button and the hole does not line up with the center of the mag release, so you have to press unbelievably hard to release a mag. Outside of California with the bullet button off, it's still not easy to drop mags. The release feels like part of the frame so it's hard to tell when you're on it.

On 3/8/2017 at 0:23 PM, Old3GNR said:

I'm planning to shoot my first match this weekend with my new rifle and have been practicing reloads.  I can't consistently drop the mag using just my trigger finger.  If i use my thumb its O.K. but seems slower.  I've searched and found this issue mentioned but can't find a solution.     An Odin part has been suggested but it doesn't look like it fits.  Has anyone found a solution?  Lighter spring?   

The mag release will eventually become easier to depress as you use it. If you want to accelerate the process for the weekend match, press it a LOT similar to breaking in a trigger through dry fire. You can use the ODIN extended mag release by drilling and tapping the JP button on the physical paddle portion of the release. The net result is more leverage to overcome the spring. From what I was told, the spring is intentionally designed to be stiff to ensure the magazines are retained in the gun. The GMR-15 magazine release is improved due to similar feedback from customers and uses an extended paddle / modified geometry to provide more leverage to overcome the stiffer spring.