Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 cases sticking on powder station

So I've gone through a bunch of older posts regarding this same problem, and I've not run across the same setup so I'd like to confirm.

I've recently picked up a used 1050 and I'm loading 9mm on it. I'm using Dillon dies, save for the lee undersized die. I wet tumble to avoid the dust and I've found that I'm a bit sensitive to it.

When I'm chugging along I find that the powder die appears to stick, giving me a pretty good pop when returning the lever back to rest. I realize this is probably a culmination of several issues, 1 being that wet tumbling is leaving the brass completely clean with no carbon or dust, and 2 the powder die included a F powder funnel.

From reading the older posts it looks like the F funnel might be for all the other Dillon machines as they expand and provide powder at the same station. The 1050 expands at the swager station but does rely on the powder station die to bell the case. From what I've found the 1050 has a powder activator that goes in place of the powder funnel.

Yesterday I tried to polish the powder funnel, but I'm still getting some sticking. I realize that I can use some case lube, but I'm generally trying to avoid it as I like reloading without an additional mess.

I spoke to Dillon this morning and they told me that instead of polishing I should go ahead and sand the funnel with 600 grit sandpaper, and I'd have to use case lube.

Has anyone had this same problem with the normal powder funnels that was alleviated with the 1050 powder activator funnel? I'm hoping that the powder activator funnel will alleviate my problem without having to result to case lube, or going back to dry tumbling.

Thanks in advance.

This funnel here comes with the 1050 and you should have no problems with that hanging up.  Is this the one that you're using ? 

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

Edited by tmz

Loosen the powder measure screws and rotate the entire measure slightly.  Tighten the screws and see if that fixes it.  If it feels worse, go the other way and try again. 

It could actually be the failsafe rod binding up with the rod guide bracket and/or the two bell crank parts.

Hope I made sense. 

2 hours ago, tmz said:

This funnel here comes with the 1050 and you should have no problems with that hanging up.  Is this the one that you're using ? 

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

It's not, the expander that I have installed has F marked on it, and I think it's actually the powder funnel for the 450/550/650.

Played with it some more tonight, and adjusted the swager/expander. It's a bit better but still definitely sticking.

Watching the powder measure, it moves freely, up until the expander is being removed from the case. Then it sticks.

What I would do is remove the powder drop funnel that you're calling "F"  and see if your problem is cured.  If so I would replace it with the wedged one that's made for the 1050 because you have an expander in station 2 and they usually don't stick it all.  Just my  thoughts. 

The Dillon and Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel will both stick, even with lube when using the Lee Undersize die.

I filed down my expander rod on the swage station to expand the case a little more there instead of relying on the powder funnel to do it all. That's what cured it for me.

1 hour ago, DWFAN said:

The Dillon and Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel will both stick, even with lube when using the Lee Undersize die.

I filed down my expander rod on the swage station to expand the case a little more there instead of relying on the powder funnel to do it all. That's what cured it for me.

^^^^ This. I was able to give mine a 1/8th turn deeper and it worked well.

7 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Is that a super 1050?

Yes it's a super 1050. 

5 hours ago, DWFAN said:

You mean tightening down the expander rod a bit deeper?

3 hours ago, Less said:

^^^^ This. I was able to give mine a 1/8th turn deeper and it worked well.

Same as above. Tighten down the expander down deeper?

I think they are filing down the tip of the expander so it can go down further in the case. 

Yes. If its properly adjusted it should be at the bottom of the case already. So i filed some off to be able to screw it down further.

On 3/12/2017 at 7:16 PM, DWFAN said:

If it gives you an idea, my expander/swage backup rod is now 2.518 inches long. I dont know how long it was when I started.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My F expander is 2.610". 

I have the same problem and use the Mr Bullet Feeder funnel. The solution is to use case lube. 

Once you start using case lube you won't go back, it reduces the effort needed significantly and the cost is much less than a penny a bullet. 

Dillon powder activators arrived today. It appears that the sticking has stopped. I haven't run the press with all the stations filled so I'll update when I get the chance to.

Also checked the diameter of the swager/expander, I measured where the brass was reaching with how much thicker it got. For my swager at least it never got wider than where the brass was already reaching, so I might not have gained anything additional by filing the swager down, or perhaps the prior owner already did so.

11 hours ago, Preeber said:

I have the same problem and use the Mr Bullet Feeder funnel. The solution is to use case lube. 

Once you start using case lube you won't go back, it reduces the effort needed significantly and the cost is much less than a penny a bullet. 

I've always used case lube, so that wasn't a solution for me.

• 2 weeks later...