Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOSS vs DAA Racer holster

dsu96

I'm pretty new to USPSA, shooting only a handful of matches in the Limited division.  Looking at a couple of different holster options for my XDM 5.25" .40 -- either a BOSS DOH, or a DAA Racer.  Couple of concerns/thoughts I have that I'm looking for advice on:

* I like the idea of the Racer holster from a 'holster wear' perspective...but am a little concerned about the overall retention/security of the gun in the Racer (from a newbie's standpoint)

* I like the idea of the BOSS DOH holster from a retention/security perspective...but am wondering about several things:

- holster wear

- any issues with interfering with an extended mag release

- Blade Tech vs. Comp Tac holster?

Funds are limited, so I really want to get this right and not wind up getting a holster that I don't like/doesn't work well for me.

Open for thoughts/advice....thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Retention and security with the racer holster should not be an issue as long as you positively seat the trigger guard in the holster block.  Additionally, the extended mag release should not be an issue with any of the holster setups. With a BOSS holster setup you will get some wear, but the XDM finish is pretty resilient.  Overall, if you are shooting USPSA, I wouldn't give a whole lot of thought about wear on your gun; it is going to happen.  Considering your funding concern, I would absolutely recommend going with the BOSS setup (I like bladetech, but comptac makes good stuff as well).  Use blue loctite on all of screws and you will never have to mess with it.  Also, if you are new to USPSA, it might be a better idea to simplify your rig.  Unless you are performing sub second draws, I don't think a race holster is going to provide you with a whole lot of added benefit.  But....., if you feel compelled to have a race holster ( I can relate), I would go with a higher end model that will give you some different options and have a longer lifespan.

1 hour ago, dsu96 said:

Thanks for the replies and feedback everyone...appreciate it! 

@WYgunner - any reasons for you liking bladetech over compatc?  Or is it Ford vs. Chevy?

I would say it is Ford vs. Chevy. I have a holster from each manufacturer and they are both pretty good. With that being said, I have been using a Bladetech on a BOSS hanger for a year or so now.

A double-layer kydex body on the BOSS hanger is truly the stiffest best thing out there. I'm running one from @Kingman at red hill tactical.

I used a blade tech body with the BOSS for a year before that switch and it did work really well, the doubled holster is just even more rigid and even more perfectly formed. Since the price difference is under $20, I'd definitely recommend the incredibly stiff RHT body.