Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire..rack the slide or just squeezing?

Seems like a stupid question but when you all go through dry fire practice are you racking the slide between shots or are you just squeezing through even though the trigger isn't reset?

im shootings a p30L V1 LEM so my second trigger pull is a heavy DA pull.  Not conducive to muscle memory when I'm actually shooting.

thanks,

pat

I've seen a lot of people taking 3 shoots at the first target when they start with double action. I guess is a new shooters thing, just to make sure that got the 2 hits. Control on the double action will help a lot with that. Train yourself on that double action pull.

I don't think I explained that well.  The only time I experience a heavy (10lb) trigger is in a "second strike" scenario.  Otherwise the hammer is pre-cocked and it's a crisp 5lbs. 

My my question is more about how you practice dry firing.  Even if you're shooting a Striker fired pistol like a glock the trigger doesn't reset so what do you all do?  Just pull the trigger without resistance?

thank you.

pat

51 minutes ago, Reshoot said:

I never do trigger work during dry fire. I, personally, don't think there is anything to be gained by it. All my trigger practice is in live fire.

So then are you just practicing lining up your sights on each target?  

37 minutes ago, Graves14 said:

So then are you just practicing lining up your sights on each target?  

Yes.  Reloads, transitions, draws, movement, table pick-ups, reloading from a table, strong hand, weak hand, turns, etc

Line up the sights and press the trigger every time. You are going to slap the trigger during stages. So you should practice doing it better during your dryfire.

Also, a "white wall drill" is one of the greatest dryfire drills out there. Break the shot and do not allow the sights to move.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can drop the striker on the first shot and squeeze on the rest, put the Glock slightly out of battery and squeeze on all, or switch to a P320 and drop the striker on the first followed by the reset click on all others. 

On 3/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, osw333 said:

You should check out Ben's book and podcast about dry fire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just picked up a copy as well as the targets he has for a dry practice range for my garage.

Just squeeze the "dead" trigger after your first pull. For most dry fire you gain quite a bit from "seeing" and "doing" tons of quality reps with just enough of that dealing with your trigger pulls. You can teach yourself a good trigger pull in dry fire, obviously. But once you've got that then you really need to be working on the other things you do in your dry fire.

Unless your trigger pulls suck, then you need to do a lot of work getting that fixed first.

• 2 weeks later...