Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Unburned Autocomp

d_striker

Reading through various forum threads, it seems WAC is notorious for leaving unburned kernels of powder.  They look like little pieces of yellow cornmeal in the slide.

Also reading through various threads, it seems unburned powder is typically a symptom of too low pressure.  The interesting thing is that I bumped my load up to 172PF from 168PF before Area 2 and have been noticing even more unburned kernels.  

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

ETA-115gr Precision Delta, 7.3gr WAC, 1.130"

5" KKM, Brazos Thundercomp 2, no holes.

Edited by d_striker

1 minute ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've loaded WAC in my 9mm Major from  5.0  -  7.0  grains and

did NOT notice any "cornmeal" ...   :)

Interesting.  

I feel like "low pressure" shouldn't be an issue in 9mm major.  I mean, we're talking about pressures between 40-50kpsi!

Just to be perfectly clear, are you talking about Winchester Auto Comp (AC), or the 'old' Winchester Action Pistol (WAP)?

WAP, now known as Silhouette, is well known for leaving small yellow 'cornmeal' - like debris.  

2 hours ago, superdude said:

Just to be perfectly clear, are you talking about Winchester Auto Comp (AC), or the 'old' Winchester Action Pistol (WAP)?

WAP, now known as Silhouette, is well known for leaving small yellow 'cornmeal' - like debris.  

Winchester Auto Comp. commonly referred to as WAC on here. 

26 minutes ago, d_striker said:

Winchester Auto Comp. commonly referred to as WAC on here. 

Most of the times I see Winchester Auto Comp mentioned on this website folks just label it AC.

That's why I wanted to make sure we were talking about AC because some folks still refer to Silhouette as WAP, and WAP could have been confused with WAC.

3 hours ago, superdude said:

Most of the times I see Winchester Auto Comp mentioned on this website folks just label it AC.

That's why I wanted to make sure we were talking about AC because some folks still refer to Silhouette as WAP, and WAP could have been confused with WAC.

Do a search for "WAC" and then do one for "AC."

21 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've loaded Winchester's Auto Comp (WAC) in 9mm with a 124 gr MG JHP

with as low as 5.0 grains (minor load) up to 7.0 grains (major load) and

have NEVER seen any "cornmeal".    :) 

Same here, I shoot 7.0 gr and 124's and have shot probably 80K rounds over the past couple of years and have never seen this. I think you need to look elsewhere for the cause (powder contamination, lube inside the case are a couple possibilities that come to mind).

6 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

Same here, I shoot 7.0 gr and 124's and have shot probably 80K rounds over the past couple of years and have never seen this. I think you need to look elsewhere for the cause (powder contamination, lube inside the case are a couple possibilities that come to mind).

Interesting.  Good thinking on possible contamination.

I've not noticed the yellow stuff (have seen it in the past in 9mm minor loads) but the 38 super major wac load I tried was spewing out black flakes of something all up my right forearm. They appear to be partially burnt bits of powder. 

After shooting approximately 300 Silhouette loaded rounds through my Open gun, I disassembled and inspected.  There were a couple of small yellow flakes in both slide rails up by the spring tunnel.  There were none in the barrel or any other place.  I think it is likely to be some interaction with the oil I was using to lube, rather than something is Silhouette.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a 2 malfunctions today toward the end of practice where my gun wasn't going all the way into battery. Rounds looked fine and dropped in/out of the chamber freely.

Bagged the gun after this. Cleaning the gun afterwards revealed lots of unburned chunks of powder in my gun... something new for me with WAC. The unburned powder chunks were all over the place and presumably caused the failure to go completely into battery. These are the first malfunctions in this gun in 1000 rounds.

I started using WAC last year and just started my 4th 8 pound container with the ammo I was shooting today. Have not seen any chunks like this with WAC until today. This is the same load, gun & lube I've used for the last 1000 rounds. The only thing new is the freshly opened 8lb container of WAC (lot# 80119162274).

My load is 7.4gr WAC, MG115JHP @ 1.130. This averaged 1495fps last week using powder from my previous 8lb container with no chunks of unburned powder.

Will chrono the load next time at the range.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:18 PM, racer-x said:

Had a 2 malfunctions today toward the end of practice where my gun wasn't going all the way into battery. Rounds looked fine and dropped in/out of the chamber freely.

Bagged the gun after this. Cleaning the gun afterwards revealed lots of unburned chunks of powder in my gun... something new for me with WAC. The unburned powder chunks were all over the place and presumably caused the failure to go completely into battery. These are the first malfunctions in this gun in 1000 rounds.

I started using WAC last year and just started my 4th 8 pound container with the ammo I was shooting today. Have not seen any chunks like this with WAC until today. This is the same load, gun & lube I've used for the last 1000 rounds. The only thing new is the freshly opened 8lb container of WAC (lot# 80119162274).

My load is 7.4gr WAC, MG115JHP @ 1.130. This averaged 1495fps last week using powder from my previous 8lb container with no chunks of unburned powder.

Will chrono the load next time at the range.

What color were the chunks?

So I noticed something interesting.  

I started using Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil and the yellow kernels aren't yellow anymore.  There's still some unburned powder in my slide but they are dark.