Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom Glock Lower Feed Ramp

Just came across this feed ramp, looks like a new Taccom product, has anyone installed one? I can run plated round nose in my Joe Bob's NFA Spartan 9mm Glock lower and AR style upper, but coated, flat nose and hollow points don't quite make the barrel chamfer and jam the action, hoping this feed ramp does the trick.

https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-glock-lower-feedramp/

Edited by 3GDad

Its a clever idea to fill the gap between the magazine and the chamber.

I decided to stick with RN bullets due to potential problems but this may be the solution for folks that want to run other bullet styles.

Be sure to update the thread on how hard it was to install and how well it works.

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Just put one in my CMMG upper yesterday.  Haven't had a chance to fire it.  My rifle was nosediving with factory Federal , Winchester and my normal reloads.  It would run super short reloads, except the last bullet would nosedive.  The ramp was pretty easy to install.  Had to use some fine diamond files because the slot is fairly narrow.  It was a fairly tight friction fit, but I added JB Weld, just in case.  It now loads the factory ammunition and my regular length reloads.  Can't get to the range this week though.

Hello: I am using a Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower with no problems with factory magazines and truncated cone 147 grain bullets. I load to 1.145" OAL. I think this would be great for those having a feeding problem with factory or round nose bullets. It would fill the gap where the bullet is unsupported on the Glock lowers. The Colt lowers seem to feed a little softer to me than the Glock lowers. The barrel ramp angle would be another area that would help feeding. I have learned a lot in the last 3 months and so is everyone else that is playing the PCC game. Thanks, Eric

Here's another reason to have one......blew my mind that I was there to see it.

A friend was on my squad this weekend, shooting a Glock lower......he's never had an issue with feeding. Shoots his stage.....unload, show clear.....we can NOT get his factory Glock magazine out of the lower. One guy ends up grabbing the rifle (two hands.....one on the HG one on the BS).....Jim grabs hold of the magazine with two hands and PULLS......it finally comes out.

We do not know what happened, have heard of the ETS mags doing this.....but not a factory Glcok mag.......he blew the front end out where it is unsupported. Not only did the plastic break away, the steel liner bent out as well. Like I say, never saw that before......but Jim is installing a feed ramp, not for feeding issues, but because it supports the front of the magazine.

Yeah.....it was interesting to say the least

21 hours ago, kmca said:

Just put one in my CMMG upper yesterday.  Haven't had a chance to fire it.  My rifle was nosediving with factory Federal , Winchester and my normal reloads.  It would run super short reloads, except the last bullet would nosedive.  The ramp was pretty easy to install.  Had to use some fine diamond files because the slot is fairly narrow.  It was a fairly tight friction fit, but I added JB Weld, just in case.  It now loads the factory ammunition and my regular length reloads.  Can't get to the range this week though.

Thanks kmca.  Good to hear that installation was easy.  I'm really looking forward to this.  I had my best groups with Xtreme HP but couldn't get them to feed reliably with that Ogive, hopefully this will work.  Let us know how yours feeds after you get to the range.

22 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Its a clever idea to fill the gap between the magazine and the chamber.

I decided to stick with RN bullets due to potential problems but this may be the solution for folks that want to run other bullet styles.

Be sure to update the thread on how hard it was to install and how well it works.

Thanks.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Mine ran 100% with plated RN and I could just stick with those, but would like to be able to run some hollow points if possible.  I will post an installation and performance report once it arrives.

11 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am using a Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower with no problems with factory magazines and truncated cone 147 grain bullets. I load to 1.145" OAL. I think this would be great for those having a feeding problem with factory or round nose bullets. It would fill the gap where the bullet is unsupported on the Glock lowers. The Colt lowers seem to feed a little softer to me than the Glock lowers. The barrel ramp angle would be another area that would help feeding. I have learned a lot in the last 3 months and so is everyone else that is playing the PCC game. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric. I thought the QC10 has a feed ramp built in, it's a very nice lower... I've got a common New Frontier Armory (NFA) Glock lower that needs help! The Glock Mag feeds at a much steeper angle than Colts.

9 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Here's another reason to have one......blew my mind that I was there to see it.

A friend was on my squad this weekend, shooting a Glock lower......he's never had an issue with feeding. Shoots his stage.....unload, show clear.....we can NOT get his factory Glock magazine out of the lower. One guy ends up grabbing the rifle (two hands.....one on the HG one on the BS).....Jim grabs hold of the magazine with two hands and PULLS......it finally comes out.

We do not know what happened, have heard of the ETS mags doing this.....but not a factory Glcok mag.......he blew the front end out where it is unsupported. Not only did the plastic break away, the steel liner bent out as well. Like I say, never saw that before......but Jim is installing a feed ramp, not for feeding issues, but because it supports the front of the magazine.

I had lots of problems with ETS mags, very surprised to hear this with a stock Glock mag. The bolt shouldn't come in contact with the mag, wonder how that happened.

Hello: I would think if the mag was over inserted it would cause all sorts of problems. The GC10 has a positive stop for the magazine. Patrick Kelly did a mod on his PCC to stop the overinsertion problem. Other than the bolt hitting the mag I can't see how it would get bent? Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric, just watched PKs video with his mod.  Good thing too, hadn't thought about over insertion problems with my lower, probably because I'm not running 3 gun with it and not hitting prone positions where I would monopod with the mag.  

On the NFA style lowers......the ejector is the mag stop....weird but true. On this stage, it was a 33 round stage, so the mag was inserted on a closed bolt and no reload was needed. We are still trying to figure out why here as well.

My ETS mags run perfect, but my Glock stick has a problem every time in my NFA lower. It runs 1-4 rounds and then jams a round into the top of the barrel extension. Not sure if the mag is moving, but there is a very little bit of forward back play. The ETS mags have no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On 3/9/2017 at 8:36 AM, 1911luvr said:

My ETS mags run perfect, but my Glock stick has a problem every time in my NFA lower. It runs 1-4 rounds and then jams a round into the top of the barrel extension. Not sure if the mag is moving, but there is a very little bit of forward back play. The ETS mags have no issues at all.

I started having issues with my 140mm ETS mags going salt shaker, and my 31rd sticks have started doing the same. I think ETS uses some cheap springs that don't give a very long service life. I ordered a pile of Glock 33rd mags for my PCC from Midway (on sale for $24.99), but haven't used them yet. Hopefully my NFA lower plays nice with them, and I'll likely re-spring all my ETS mags with Wolff springs. 

I started having issues with my 140mm ETS mags going salt shaker, and my 31rd sticks have started doing the same. I think ETS uses some cheap springs that don't give a very long service life. I ordered a pile of Glock 33rd mags for my PCC from Midway (on sale for $24.99), but haven't used them yet. Hopefully my NFA lower plays nice with them, and I'll likely re-spring all my ETS mags with Wolff springs. 

I had that problem a week ago with one mag, but was thinking it was due to dirt getting in the mag since we drop them during competition. There must be some magical middle ground for mag springs. Too soft and they can stick (salt shaker), to hard and they can nose dive.

7 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

I had that problem a week ago with one mag, but was thinking it was due to dirt getting in the mag since we drop them during competition. There must be some magical middle ground for mag springs. Too soft and they can stick (salt shaker), to hard and they can nose dive.

I've encountered a few nose dives in my 31rd ETS mags, though that was my fault. I loaded some 147gr plated RN to 1.17", because they easily fit in a factory Glock mag. Evidently the ETS has a smaller ID than the Glock mag, because the nose of a bullet would get hung up on the front wall of the mag and put everything in a bind, causing a salt-shaker. Naturally, I didn't catch it until match day, on the clock. Luckily it was just Steel Challenge.

I've encountered a few nose dives in my 31rd ETS mags, though that was my fault. I loaded some 147gr plated RN to 1.17", because they easily fit in a factory Glock mag. Evidently the ETS has a smaller ID than the Glock mag, because the nose of a bullet would get hung up on the front wall of the mag and put everything in a bind, causing a salt-shaker. Naturally, I didn't catch it until match day, on the clock. Luckily it was just Steel Challenge.

Mine were 160gr loaded to 1.16" so maybe that's the problem.

4 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

Mine were loaded to 1.16" so maybe that's the problem.

I ran the 147s I had loaded back through the seater die when I got home that evening and seated them to 1.16", and used them the next day in 3-gun in my G34 with ETS mags and didn't have any issues in 5 different 140mm mags. I'm going back to Glock factory mags for matches and use the ETS mags for practice/range fun for now, until I can get them re-sprung and make sure they're GTG again.

Just a quick update.  It now feeds Winchester and Federal factory ammunition, along with my normal truncated cone bullets.  I tried a few different lengths of Montana Gold hollow points and they still won't feed.

I've got mine installed but haven't had a chance to test it on the range yet.  I loaded some dummy rounds in a mag and pulled the charging handle to see if the hollow point loads would feed into the barrel, and jammed the first one, looks like the ramp is too low when installed with the base of the ramp flush to the upper, and the round doesn't touch the ramp it as it feeds from mag to barrel. I think I have to set the ramp deeper so it comes up higher to the barrel but didn't want to do anything further until I contact Taccom for their recommendation.

3 minutes ago, 3GDad said:

I've got mine installed but haven't had a chance to test it on the range yet.  I loaded some dummy rounds in a mag and pulled the charging handle to see if the hollow point loads would feed into the barrel, and jammed the first one, looks like the ramp is too low when installed with the base of the ramp flush to the upper, and the round doesn't touch the ramp it as it feeds from mag to barrel. I think I have to set the ramp deeper so it comes up higher to the barrel but didn't want to do anything further until I contact Taccom for their recommendation.

From talking to some other PCC shooters, with various upper/lower combinations, hollow points are problematic.  I'm switching to FMJ or plated round nose.  Good luck with yours.

• 5 months later...