Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack 1911 Suggestions

rootacres

You could probably start with an Armscor/Rock Island variant to start cheap.  What do you want to trick out?  Adding a magwell and doing some trigger polish should get you close with something like a Springfield Range Officer.

How much do you want to spend?

I had an RIA 9mm with a factory trigger no other work done than some polishing parts (didn't touch the sear / hammer hooks) that got down to 3.25lbs.  It was pretty ready to run out of the box, comes with an S&A style magwell, VZ style grips, FO front sight & adjustable rear for a hair under $600.  Toss on a dawson CRP kit for the 1911 ~$100, add in 5 Brownell's 10rd magazines ~$100, and you're golden for $800.

If you're willing to spend $1,000 ready to run a match, a Springfield RO is the way to go.

Edit to add - Are you looking at new? If used, post a WTB thread here with specifics and a price range.  Probably a handful of folks with some to sell.

Edited by SCTaylor

what is your price range? are you planning to shoot SS nats? (if so, you will definitely want 40 or 45 to shoot major).

there are a million good 1911's out there. i have 2 sti's, a sig and a dan wesson, and they are all great guns.

I went into a local gun store and told them I was looking for a project .45.  Bought a lightly used SA Loaded for $500 and paid a local gun smith to trick it out a bit over $300.  I now have  a very good SS gun for $800 that would have cost me $1,200 to $1,500 new.

30 minutes ago, jwhittin said:

Depends on your budget.   What say you?

I think $1500 all finished is a decent number. Any more than that I'd probably just go get a semi-custom/custom. I think it would be fun to by a bare bones gun and upgrade parts to what I want. The RO appears to be a good gun to do that with. I didn't know if there were more like that out there. 

• 2 months later...

Sig max is a good choice.  It's already got most everything needed.

There is a 45 RO for sale on the site that looks beautiful, and is all setup for competition too.

Edited by DukeEB

I just went through the same process and got a STI Trojan in 45 from Dawson Precision, one of their "Competition Ready Package" guns and it has all you could want at the $1450 price range. Adjustable rear sight, fo front, oversize mag button, magwell, minor fitting and attention to parts. Mine is working great and is a very accurate shooter!

I bought a Trojan. 40 crp from Dawson and feel like it was a good value. Mine won't reliably feed any flat nosed bullets so I had to buy round nosed. It increased the cost of reloading but my feeding issues went away. 

Edited by Delta66

On 6/11/2017 at 4:20 AM, rowdyb said:

I just went through the same process and got a STI Trojan in 45 from Dawson Precision, one of their "Competition Ready Package" guns and it has all you could want at the $1450 price range. Adjustable rear sight, fo front, oversize mag button, magwell, minor fitting and attention to parts. Mine is working great and is a very accurate shooter!

I was going to do the same thing but I won a trojan in a raffle at a match last month. Identical gun to what I already shoot, so now I have a backup. If you have access to 45 brass it is worth looking at a 45 just because they run without muss or fuss.

I kinda was "stuck" choosing 45 as I want to shoot same gun in cdp in idpa and ss in uspsa. Or else I have definitely gotten a .40 one as that's what I have stuff I can reload for, i don't currently reload 45.