Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes on the new build

RippinSVT

Just finishing up a 9mm 1911 build, everything functions wonderfully so far...feeding, ejection, extraction, extremely accurate.  However, I'm getting light strikes ever 20 shots or so.  Firing pin alignment is good but not perfect, but no worse than most of my factory guns.  Barrel was headspaced to the minimum so there's no voodoo there with case deflection.  My concern lies in the firing pin.  It's an EGW titanium as I recall, with an extra power spring with 2-3 coils cut.  I am running the Extreme Engineering Lightspeed sear/hammer/disco and a 17lb ISMI mainspring.  I have friends running this setup successfully, but they are using a steel firing pin.  This is with Winchester primers, all seated properly.  Winchester is the hardest I use and Federals have been 100% reliable that I can remember from my small (200rd) sample size since I finished the gun.

So where to go from here.  I'd rather keep the 17lb spring since I've got a nice 2.6lb trigger currently.  Any input on steel versus titanium?  Does the firing pin spring really have a bearing on energy on primer?  Any merit to moving to a Dawson extended pin?

I would dump the titanium firing pin. I had light strikes as well with a titanium firing pin. I switched to a regular steel firing pin and the problem was solved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Dawson or M2i extended pins

Ti is a pain and I've never been able to tell with "lock time" 

SA uses them to pass the drop test not make the gun run better.

or at least go to a standard weight firing pin spring

I'll make the switch to a steel extended pin this week. I clipped the FP spring a few more coils this afternoon and it did help, with a failure to fire about 1/2 as often but still prevalent.

They do go off with a 2nd try.  The primers are not high.

I ordered an extended Dawson steel pin.  I think it'll solve the issue.  If I have to move to a 19b spring I will, but I have high hopes for the pin.

I understand this, but I'm priming sub-flush on an automated 1050, with zero failures to fire in 20k rounds in other guns. I agree that pockets can vary, either way there's something going on that isn't happening in my other guns.

R, I tried the same thing as you as an experiment, even though I knew EGW did not recommend using their Ti firing pin with the trigger group kit.  Replacing the Ti pin with the recommended SS pin cured the FTF problem.  I use Winchester and CCI primers.

First thing that comes to mind.... EGW doesn't make a Ti firing pin (or at least last time I checked they werent offering one).  

STI does  though.

Also, does the FP feel completely "free"?  FPs come in .066, .068, .075, ect. It is possible that your pin is too tight in your slide. 

Ditch the cutting coils thing.  Grab a stainless Dawson or Mclearn FP, a standard ismi or wolf spring, and move on.  There is no reason to "customize" that part of the system. 

Edited by Ssanders224

My extended firing pins work fine with Federal and Winchester.  I had some issues with Wolf and CCI.  Dumped them. 

Kodiak Precision did my trigger job so probably know it is light but goes boom when it is supposed to go boom.