Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Close and big

Pistolpete9

I'm curious what the different standards are for you guys.  If there is a wide open USPSA target 5 yards in front of you and you fire five rounds letting your physical ability be the determining factor for speed (1 sight picture and the fastest pulls you can manage), what is a typical spread for you?  This isn't about the speed your finishing in really.  It's about seeing what our accuracy is when we are at our speed limits.

Please include your designations .

I did this a bunch over the weekend just to see what I can get away with.  Didn't have my timer, but I can tell you that I was running as fast as possible which is almost always .11 splits for me. I felt like I was doing really good, but the math showed that it wasn't quite what I had hoped.

Limited Minor U- 76% Alphas, 24% Charlies (slightly sporadic and most misses of the Alpha zone were over or under)

Switching to my Buckmark wasn't as satisfying as it should be.  The tight curve of the trigger gets me messed up at full speed.  Need to change to a flat faced.

Rimfire Iron Sights U- 82% Alphas, 18% Charlies.  ( Usually in a slanted string with misses being left and low)

Anybody else?

1 hour ago, Pistolpete9 said:

USPSA target 5 yards in front of you and you fire five rounds letting your physical ability be the determining factor for speed

That's part of a Bill Drill - add in a reload and another five rounds.

Most people can keep it in the A zone, real fast.    :) 

Yeah, I know about the Bill Drill, but my understanding is that the point of the Bill Drill is to do it with all alphas and check your speed.  I'm asking guys to go the other way with it.  I'm trying to get a feel for the difference between the two. It's mainly for curiosity and I'm not at all trying to invent a new drill or anything.  Just trying to collect data.

There is no math on the time.  You pull the trigger as fast as you are able.  I simply stated the .11 splits because I have tuned myself plenty and know that is where I typically reach my limit.  I've hit .10 here and there and obviously sometimes I'm a little slower too.  It isn't about that though. You need not list your times at all. 

The math is purely based on the accuracy.

Perhaps I have explained this wrong.  The only two responses are based off confusion.  Can anybody help me here?

4 hours ago, Pistolpete9 said:

The math is purely based on the accuracy.

Perhaps I have explained this wrong.  The only two responses are based off confusion.  

If "the math is purely based on the accuracy",  I'd venture to guess I could put 5 shots into a single

ragged hole at 5 yards, as fast as I can pull the trigger,  without  a timer.

Not even sure what that is supposed to mean......Are you trying to imply that you could lie????  I mean sure, we can all lie about what we do online.  Not sure what you're trying to prove here.  Just upset that I asked for data or.....????  It's not a competition.

Memphis, I assumed the same.  As a matter of fact, I felt it was true halfway through all of the runs I did.  I think the brain has a tendency to round to the best results.  It's similar to people who shoot 20 groups that average 1.3 inches, but have 4 of them go sub inch and they say the rifle is MOA or better.

All A's going really fast is definitely way at that distance, but when I'm trying to pull .11s it really is beyond my limit (which probably explains why I rarely get those splits while competing) .  YMMV, but then your probably a better shooter than me too, so that's not surprising.  That's kind of what I want to see.  The differences on this from different level shooters.

Thanks!

On 3/15/2017 at 4:57 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Grip the gun harder. As hard as you possibly can with weakhand. All As on demand at 15 feet shouldn't be challenging as long as you get the gun indexed on the correct spot when you begin.

my experience as a mid-pack A, is i can pull the trigger as fast as I can and the sights never leave the a-zone at 5 yards.. It's only .13-14 splits at best, but every shot is in the A-zone.

as an instructor friend once said to a group of students in a pistol class, "there is no market for a 7 yard sniper."

once you learn the fundamentals, what you can do at 3-5 yards is merely interesting information. not really a test to me.

interesting for learning your limit of human function, getting the feel of some things but of limited value in doing often.

I'm not sure if I'm going to answer your question directly, but a USPSA shooter needs to be able to hit all alphas on a 5y open target as fast as they can physically press the trigger.  There is really no excuse to ever drop a charlie at that distance.  

To echo Rowdy, I'm not sure of the utility of such a test.  In fact, I can imagine some negative effects of training yourself to get one sight pic and hammer the trigger.  I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I would dump rounds into a berm instead of a target and would still be paying attention to sight tracking.

At 5y, all you really need to do to hit alphas is a refined index, a solid crush grip, and "looking through the gun" to hammer splits at your human limits.