Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has this happened to you?

MikieM

My STI DVC Open is running like a railroad watch. All three MBX 155's are feeding like a champ. The gun is coming out of my Race Master like greased lightning. I'm looking good in my black Salomon's.  

Saturday I step into the box, load and make ready, and my C-More is dead! Oh, the humanity.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

How often do you change the batteries?

Hope it was a local match ...

It was.

Monday I bought extras and plan to replace once a month regardless of usage.

Unless, of course, someone has a better plan.

Edited by MikieM

13 hours ago, MikieM said:

It was.

Monday I bought extras and plan to replace once a month regardless of usage.

Unless, of course, someone has a better plan.

How much dryfire do you do?  If the dot only turns on for 8 minutes a day 1-2 times a month for matches, then changing every month is excessive.  2-3 months per battery would be fine, or 6 months if you don't dryfire much.

I use "old" batteries for practice - and you can tell when they're about to go -

you have to Crank the Dial UP quite a bit to get a nice glow.

For big matches, I pop in a new battery - don't throw it away, though, I just

put it into my new battery pile - then use that for local matches and

the Older batteries for practice.    :) 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I use "old" batteries for practice - and you can tell when they're about to go -

you have to Crank the Dial UP quite a bit to get a nice glow.

For big matches, I pop in a new battery - don't throw it away, though, I just

put it into my new battery pile - then use that for local matches and

the Older batteries for practice.    :) 

Good advice, Jack. Thanks.

3 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

How much dryfire do you do?  If the dot only turns on for 8 minutes a day 1-2 times a month for matches, then changing every month is excessive.  2-3 months per battery would be fine, or 6 months if you don't dryfire much.

Not enough, unfortunately.

Also, I may (probably) have put the gun in the gun safe with the sight turned on.

I'm new to Open and need to develop some good gun habits. Or, as the Doobie Brothers used to say, "What were once habits are now vices."

I dry fire quite a bit and that kills my battery. I change my battery every 2 months whether it needs it or not. The key is to use good quality batteries as well. i always keep spare Energizer 2032's in my bag as well for insurance sake. 

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, MikieM said:

My STI DVC Open is running like a railroad watch. All three MBX 155's are feeding like a champ. The gun is coming out of my Race Master like greased lightning. I'm looking good in my black Salomon's.  

Saturday I step into the box, load and make ready, and my C-More is dead! Oh, the humanity.

or you hear the beep and realize with an audible click that you drunkenly put your stock striker and worn 3lb spring together 2 days prior...I gave up on the first stage...I was just practicing tap rack lol

the bench

My Slideride eats batteries.  When the dot no longer blooms when cranked up to full, it's time to change.  Even though there is a little life in them, I don't save them.  If they get down to 2.7V, they are shot.  At 2.7, the dot is noticeably dim at full power.