Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nowlin barrel on open gun

k1llapanda

Hey guys , quick question. I have a Brazos pro series 38 super Comp open gun. I have been getting some floppidy bullets in my cardboard targets at area 2 this last weekend. Someone said it could be the bullets ( Berry's double plated 124 gn HP ) and so.e said barrel might b shot. Barrel has less then 7k through it but I don't know much about longevity and what not. Assuming I need a new barrel, what are people's opinion of nowlins? I picked up a nice gift certificate for one and if I can use that for a new barrel then cool. If not then I'll go a diff route. Thanks in advance. 

PS. Gun has a 5inch currently 

Snapchat-399457163.jpg

7k rounds is probably not the barrel.

I had 2k rounds of Berry's through my Limited gun then the last 500 tumbled like crazy.  I could never shoot them after that.

In Open, you definitely should check your comp to see if any of the plating has come off and is touching any areas where the bullets must traverse.  Wouldn't take much to affect the flight.

Buy some precision delta or zero jacketed Bullets and try them.  Don't give the barrel another thought until you prove to yourself it's not the Bullets i.e., make sure it does it will all Bullets 

Get a proper sized reamer for your comp an check clearance often. I've had problems with the jackets splitting at open major power factor. Never used Barrey bullets and don't want to mention the brand. Hollow point bullets are best for open. Delta Precision working well for me. 25k currently through this barrel still good. I would not assume your barrel is bad.

Agreed, try some real jacketed bullets (zero, precision delta, montana gold, hornady, etc.) and try again.  If you are still having issues check your comp alignment to make sure you aren't touching the baffles as the bullet passes.  I bet it is ether the bullets, or the comp alignment.  I have a super with a well used wilson barrel and you can hardly see the rifling in it anymore, but it will still shoot >2" at 25 yds. off bags.   FWIW - I haven't had good luck with any plated bullets I tried even though i know some who do, I've had better results with coated or plain lead.  Jacketed are best, though.    And yes - Nowlin makes a very good barrel.  If you are retrofitting the barrel into an existing gun just make sure it has the wilson/nowlin ramp cut.   

Plated bullets typically don't shoot very well at open gun velocities.  So that's the most likely culprit.  And also an easy thing to verify.  If you do replace the barrel, I can tell you from much experience that Nowlin is an excellent choice.