Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget silencer for a 308 AR10

Truegent2004

Now that silencers are legal in my state I'm thinking of getting one for my 308 AR10.  I use the gun for beginning/budget PRS and hunting. I've looked on websites as is always the case there is a wide range of price. I want a good one but I hate the thought of paying a grand or more (Must include the $200 tax stamp) for what seems to be a "glorified pipe".  Suggestions?

The direct-thread cans do have some advantages over all the "QD" stuff...

Lighter weight and shorter OAL of firearm with can installed are the 2 that come to mind first.

Not that there is necessarily anything wrong buying a 'budget' can, but buy the one that you really want, and make sure it is from an established company that will have any mounts you might need and that you feel will be around to service your can if it needs it. Until and more importantly if the HPA ever becomes law, you will be looking at buying a Title 2 device, with the fun of paperwork, approval waits and a transfer tax. As you are purchasing a highly restricted device, get your purchase right the first time, even if you have to wait a bit to purchase what you really want. 

The cheapest route is to build one with a Form 1 stamp. This is what I did. It works fine and I have fired hundreds of rounds through it.

Otherwise $450-500 is cheapest you will generally find for a quality unit. For the most point even the cheaper ones provide an adequate level of suppression.

I bought a less expensive YHM direct connect 5.56mm before I knew what I was doing.  Had I known I would have saved a little more.  I would look real hard at spending a little more and getting what you want, after you add the 200.00 stamp and wait 9 months, its a lot of work and wait to save 300.00 or so.  If I was doing it over I would have looked real hard at the YHM QD .30 titanium can for my 5.56 and 7.62 needs.  If your'e not doing entry work then you can save a few bucks and not get a SOT approved can as you will not have to worry a bout a round coming out the side of your can and into your team.  Lighter cans will cost more.  direct connect is cheaper but its real nice to be able to move the can around. 

• 1 month later...