Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

indoor chrono use

tomjerry1

I purchased a set of illuminated shields for my chrono and am trying to use them at an indoor range. The lighting is fluorescent, I am getting errors for front or rear sensor, and the velocities are low or hi??? All power for the chrono and shields are good, and I have noticed that if I shoot just above the sensors, the readings are more inline with what I would expect. Has anyone else had experience with indoor chrono? and any suggestions on obtaining more consistent readings?  

What is this indoor lighting setup?

If you get a really bright incandescent lamp right next to the body of the chrono aimed up at the bows over the sensors from underneath, it'll work perfectly. It has to be close and bright so that the 60 times a second the flourescent lights go dark is not a factor. And down next the body of the chrono so that the sensors can't see the bulb directly.

We use one of these at the indoor range and the chrono functions flawlessly in a room full of fluorescents.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6925743818905997102?lsf=seller:8049,store:7044089332842547346&prds=oid:15142081725944425160&q=halogen+flood+stand&hl=en-us&ei=FzTCWN71Foe3mwGEobKgDw&lsft=gclid:CNHsqP6Uy9ICFdY6gQodLv0DuA#sgro=om

Edited by MemphisMechanic

the range I'm using has about 10' ceilings with fluorescent lighting running in rows the length of the room. I have used this chrono outdoors with no issues, but inside the range w/lighted screens, I'm getting variations in speed from 250 to 1100fps. I am also getting errors for the front or rear sensor not seeing the round. I am considering building a cardboard cover for the chrono and try to use it like a chrono trap for qualification at a match. I have yet been to the range to try turning off the fluorescent lights, will try this first, one less thing to pack around.