Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cellphone as a magnification device

NicVerAZ

I know we are not allowed to use any video recording device or any camera to review a course of fire.

That said... If I am having a hard time discerning two distinct grease rings for what the shooter claims is a double hit and I the RO insist is just one, can I pull my cellphone, take a photo, review the photo and zoom on the area to see if there is indeed one or two hits?

If the shooter keeps on insisting and asks for the RM to review, this would be the better option, but can I be innovative and save the RM and everyone some time by using a cellphone as a magnification device?

Has anyone ever used a magnifier glass for this type of situation?

Edited by NicVerAZ

Make your call - if the shooter doesn't agree pull the target - call the RM - staple a new one - and get going.

Don't over think it - if you only see 1 hole - then call it as Alpha (assuming it was an alpha) Mike and let him request the RM.  No point in arguing or over thinking it.

And of course you can use your overlay to get a better view of the shape of the hole.  If it's round, it's a single shot; call it and move on.  If requested, the RM can check it - that's their job.  

And I know an RM who has used a magnifying glass! But like the others said, let the RM deal with that level of scrutiny. Call the target as you see it after using overlays and take the proper course of action from there

DAA have a small RO kit that has gauges and a magnifier and a DQ rule # list in it, comes in a business card case, make your own for half the price but if you cant find the magnifier card I guess it's not a bad deal. Interesting that a lot of shooters change there mind when you pull out the magnifier

Scoring-Assistance-Kit-1.jpg

Edited by terrydoc

6 minutes ago, George Jones said:

Rule 9.6.8 applies.  As nice as this kit appears, unless the RM specifically approves those, they are not legal.

To clarify. Those overlays are not legal correct? Using a magnifier independently would be legal?

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

I was with some senior members of USPSA some years ago when the made the statement that a magnifier is not legal.

I don't have my book handy but will check it later.

The word magnifier isn't in the rule book

• 3 weeks later...