Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much is this worth?

colt1911

Hello, I have an opportunity to get this pistol on a trade and would really like to know what its worth, approximately. It is a RIA slide and barrel, on a CK frame. Pretty basic. Throw out what y'all would pay. And if you think its gonna be a piece of junk, it'd be nice to know that as well. Thanks!

Edited - the rear sight is included, its just not in the picture

edited again - this is a 9mm.

147042A04BCC0000A7700002-attachment-1-IMG958098.jpg

147042A113E3000022400002-attachment-1-IMG950581.jpg

Edited by colt1911

sorry, ill edit that too, yeah it has a rear sight, its just not on it in these pics, ill be ditching those sights anyway..... i have not fired it and have no way other than him sending me a video to see wiggle of fit... both the slide/frame have very few rounds though, sub 1k

also, will add, it was put together by the owner, who is a very novice gunsmith. But, if i accept it, i plan on sending it to a more reputable smith for some work to be done, so ill have them fine-tooth comb it.

Hmmm I'd be nervous about that one. The main reason being the slide and frame are not even the same profile. Sure that doesn't meant they're not fit well and the gun isn't reliable and accurate, but just like attention to small detail would be a good sign, I feel like ignoring that cosmetic oddity could also be a sign of ignorance to other potential problems (as you said a novice gunsmith, not implying he'd be maliciously trying to off load a turd on you). If you could get hands on it and inspect and shoot it, and could ignore the classic style slide on the full length dust cover, then I'd say it wld be less of an issue. But buying it without having it in hand makes it a bit of a leap of faith.. and that's assuming it's a great deal. Frequently on here you can find used STI Edge's for sale in the 1600-1800 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i will definitely see if maybe i can get hands on before i trade, if i trade... i dont really mind the classic slide on the full length dust cover, ill probably see if i can have the dust cover shortened anyway.... this trade is worth half that, which is why im so interested

Depending on the fire control group, you're looking at about $1,000 in parts there. Some could be trash, even worst case with rebuilding the topend using new parts from a reputable gun smith it's about ~$600 parts & labor.

Personally I'd take the leap if it only cost me $500 to figure out the condition. But then, I can be a glutton for punishment.

Just checked with him, he said its Dawson/Wilson internals.

gans guns is only 45 minutes away from me, and just looking at his website, worst case scenario (slide, barrel, and fitting) would only cost me 500 bucks. So i would have around 1200-1300 bucks in it.

Worst case scenario is the frame is hacked to fit the cheap RIA top end.  If you're going to be sending it to Gans, you would be better off sending him a virgin CK frame and a bag of new parts since you figure you'll probably be replacing the slide, barrel, etc....

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

Depending on the fire control group, you're looking at about $1,000 in parts there. 

Wtf. If you really think so then I'll sell you as many as you can afford at that price.  

41 minutes ago, colt1911 said:

cost me 500 bucks. So i would have around 1200-1300 bucks in it.

So he wants 7-800. Not the worst sale asking price ever but definitely not worth going for.

I'd be a buyer of that slap together parts bag for anything under 400, maybe 500 if I had any inclination that it wasn't just a collection of parts. You can get a complete Philippino 1911 for 350 brand new, I've bought them for as little as 220 used. New ck frame is 200, new grip is 100; so why spend way more than the parts are worth on a hideous looking mystery build? If you want a novice-built franken2011 you can assemble it all by yourself for less.

How is it being advertised?

Edited by JimmyBob

14 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

RIA is pretty much crap 

BS, there's nothing "crap" about the RIA 1911s, and for 350 bucks the correct term is "phenomenal". It's not like they're using pot metal slides that shatter or something ridiculous.

Now it may be cheap to see a RIA upper on a CK frame but it's still a whole better than crap.

26 minutes ago, JimmyBob said:

BS, there's nothing "crap" about the RIA 1911s, and for 350 bucks the correct term is "phenomenal". It's not like they're using pot metal slides that shatter or something ridiculous.

Now it may be cheap to see a RIA upper on a CK frame but it's still a whole better than crap.

Crap. The end.

As a work in progress, not sorted out? Maybe 500 or 600. I'd probably pay $750 for it if came with a mag, the sights weren't painted tan,  and was demonstrated to run well, was fit well enough to not self destruct, even if it rattled a little; but I'm not that picky. I've probably shot worse but not by much.

By the time it's all said and done, you could have picked up a good condition used STI Edge or Eagle on this site for close to the same cost, maybe a couple hundred more.  But without all the headache of rebuilding and surprise expenses.

10 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

Crap. The end.

The necessary low quality internet mall ninja retort. No justification, no intellect, some opinionated comment that adds nothing of value to the discussion, just trying to shit on someone else's gear.

Dude.... I don't owe you anything. If you have had good luck with a RIA then good for you. This gentlemen asked what the gun ( Franken-crap-gun) is worth and I told him. I don't have a rock island problem because I try not to buy any shity guns. As far as you giving advice about this badass RIA you can keep your free advice, or keep spewing it and I can have a good laugh. Rock island is the hi-point of the 1911. ? 

For the record I would not trade a worn out glock for that POS homemade frankengun. 

Obviously you're interested in this gun so I suggest you ask for picture of the inside: the ramp cut, barrel, lugs, hammer, sear, etc.

Has it been fired since Cerakote?

I would be very suspicious if a novice builder is selling it off for less than the cost of parts.

If you want to take a chance and maybe get a cheap shooter, give it a try, but if you plan to send it to a real gunsmith to be "checked out", count on replacing nearly everything; I've been down that road.

If you want to take a chance, for the same money why not get a new Rock Island?

Thank you all for the input, if I wasn't a little bit unsure of it I would have never posted this on here, so the fact that EVERYONE else is skeptical as well, reassures me to keep being skeptical.

I'm not even looking for another STI, but he offered it and the parts alone are worth more than the trade on my end.

Now, let's say that I was able to ditch the RIA upper and buy a new slide/barrel etc and sent it up to gans (the frame/grip/internals are new)... Would it be worth it compared to a brand new edge/eagle/Marauder etc...?? I would have around 1200-1300 in it +whatever I get for the RIA junk...?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, colt1911 said:

Now, let's say that I was able to ditch the RIA upper and buy a new slide/barrel etc and sent it up to gans (the frame/grip/internals are new)... Would it be worth it compared to a brand new edge/eagle/Marauder etc...??

But you still don't know what condition the frame is in.  The rails may have been overcut or are no longer true due to fitting that upper improperly.  You also don't know if the prep work on the internals was done properly.  Too many unknowns.

IMHO, it's not crap! As long as the fire control group is put together properly and it's safe ti shoot. I have a RIA 1911 in 9mm and it's my favorite range gun. I even used it in SS division minor coz' it's very accurate. That upper came from a tactical model, and i think it has an unramped barrel too. But, i don't have any feeding problem with mine.

My advice is, try and shoot the gun and see if there's any problem. It seems that the price is not a problem for you that's why you're very interested. I bet it's soft shooting with a full dust cover frame. Goodluck!

$499 9mm and $530 40 RIA nib doublestacks.  They run and shoot well.  Much better start for your project.
IMG_7786.thumb.JPG.c78c977f033228187b6a748d43e94af6.JPG

It's not "a project" and I'm not looking for yet another 2011, I asked the value of aforementioned pistol, and have since gotten the value, I also think RIA is pretty much shit along with most of the people in this thread and was only interested in what the aforementioned pistol COULD BE. Thanks for your input anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk