Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much is this worth?

colt1911

On 3/7/2017 at 9:45 AM, tyler2you said:

But you still don't know what condition the frame is in.  The rails may have been overcut or are no longer true due to fitting that upper improperly.  You also don't know if the prep work on the internals was done properly.  Too many unknowns.

If you can't evaluate it first hand it is exactly what tyler2you said.  Even the frame may not be serviceable in another build.  Same with the fire control parts.  If they have all been fit to this particular frame the fire control parts might not even work in another frame.  On a build such as this, both safeties are fit to the particular gun, not drop in.  Hammer and sear are drop in, but if he tried to face the sear and didn't do it right, then the sear is worthless.

If you can inspect and shoot it, and it runs 100%, then for a bargain complete gun go for it if you want.  But I would not look at it for the value of the individual parts not knowing how much fitting has been done to get everything to work.

Edited by sitw

2 hours ago, sitw said:

If you can't evaluate it first hand it is exactly what tyler2you said.  Even the frame may not be serviceable in another build.  Same with the fire control parts.  If they have all been fit to this particular frame the fire control parts might not even work in another frame.  On a build such as this, both safeties are fit to the particular gun, not drop in.  Hammer and sear are drop in, but if he tried to face the sear and didn't do it right, then the sear is worthless.

If you can inspect and shoot it, and it runs 100%, then for a bargain complete gun go for it if you want.  But I would not look at it for the value of the individual parts not knowing how much fitting has been done to get everything to work.

just got some answers to these unknowns, so the frame is not hacked to accept the slide, but the safeties are fit to the gun, sear is still an unknown.

also, if i do end up trading him, this thing is just gonna be a backup and range toy.

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I would be really skeptical of a guy who spends a grand on parts plus labor for the build, then sells it off for $700.  Have you asked him flat out if there's something he know you don't?

i dont actually know how much he spent on the parts, i guess we know about what theyre worth, but i dont know how much HE got them for, still an unknown, and i dont think he's adding his own labor into the price, also, he had it advertised for 900, i think your getting 700 from me saying thats what i have in my end of the trade.... and i have berated him with questions about the gun for a week now and he's been super up front and honest about everything, but ill keep pressing and see if i can socially engineer a lie out of him...

He is giving his gunsmith work little to no value.  That tells me even he doesn't think his work is worth any money. 

True that, or another possibility is he knows no knowledgeable person would pay extra for novice gunsmithing work and assembly... Good point, i thought of that too and am definitely keeping that in mind!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

The best deals are sometimes those you pass on.

This sure looks like it could go that way. He's basically asking for the cost of the parts more or less. Just seems like it might be a safer bet to avoid all the potential headaches of what might be needed to make that thing run. Also it's resale is could very well to be limited to the supply and demand for those parts not the gun as a whole. 

Tldr: too many variables to feel confident about it

Saw he had some STI grips on it. Also you said you could get up to $1200 into it.

For that amount a little more and a new STI could be had.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in a novice build regardless of price. Especially unproven.

Is it even feasible to shoot the pistol prior to trading? I dont think you can have much of a conversation about it before shooting the pistol to know that it actually runs or doesn't. If you're able to trade something that doesnt have a great deal of value to you, then you might "break even", maybe get something worth less than your trade, maybe come out ahead.

I traded a nice 1911 for an oddly composed 2011. Traded a known quantity for something fairly unknown. The seller answered my questions im a fashion that seemed fairly genuine. I ended up with something that I liked better than a 4th 1911. Got it melonited and its great for me. Used stuff for a "deal" is always a gamble; sometimes the odds are better than other times.