Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DVC Issues

Kdenny

38 minutes ago, Mikeski said:

I have to agree with davsco. I have had no issues with my Limited and Open DVC. They have run for me right out of the box and the only issue I had with my open was something that I did. I ran 38 Super ammo in it when it came from the factory tuned for SuperComp. I changed ammo and it's running great. I would be curious to see what the actual % of defects is for them. If STI sells 5000 DVC Opens and they have 50 that have issues then its the same as another custom who builds 10 and has 1 come back. As we all know if one person has a good experience they will tell 1 person, but if they have a bad experience they will tell 10. No one ever calls a customer service number to tell them they make a great product.

Now issues out of the box are one thing, but how many of these issues are user error. Not Cleaning, wrong ammo loads, ect.

Same here, mine has had a couple of issues and they have been resolved thru STI CS promptly and professionally. My son also runs a DVC 3-gun and it has been perfect out of the box. Many of my friends shoot them with minimal issues. At any given local match they far outnumber the custom shop guns. 10 to 1. My guess is with the number of guns they turn out their failure rate will be greater than a "custom shop". I have shooting buddies with major custom shop guns that cost double what I paid and had issues. Some pretty significant  with the gun going back several times before they get them straightened out. These are the top custom brands. The tolerances are tight and it is hard to control outsourced parts. One guy I met at a match had a fairly new DVC Open and was complaining about how it would not run, asked what he is running for ammo and it was factory minor loads with the stock spring.

gerritm

5 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I believe that pretty much all beaver tails are cast due to their complex configuration. It would cost crazy money to machine a beaver tail out of bar stock.

JEM guns does them.  And they are sweeeeet.  I used one of the JEM billet grip safeties on my custom JEM frame, both are the highest quality I've ever seen.

As far as the OP...

Try a plunk test on the dirty barrel, just to rule out something like a short-throated barrel.  Check to see if loaded rounds are hitting the ejector with the slide locked back with some or all mags.  Check that the bottom of the extractor has a bevel at the bottom in both side-to-side and up and down planes (don't know how to describe that adequately), and check the bottom lugs for a barrel bump.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cchance315 said:

My DVC  runs fine with STI mags but hates MBX mags so.if you are having the issue with MBX mags i would recommend switching mags 

Or tune the OAL of your ammo so it will function properly in whatever mags you use.

I've had four DVC's on the bench. Two had cracked slides. They cracked on the top front slot from the comps hitting the slide. I had one crack at the lower barrel lugs from a poorly fit barrel  and the fourth just had a laundry list of poorly fit parts and it wouldn't run. All in all for the money they are far from good. 

my DVC ltd has ran flawlessly ,but in fairness, it was one of the earlier version(fwiw), and possibly better fitted(?)..... but, i know a couple of guys who bought them  in the last year or so who have had a nightmare of experiences with them......what gives?

Otoh,i have seen a high price svi chock and fumble on several occasions during matches.... i guess what is made made by a man , will break at one point or another.

Same here. I got one of the early ones (38 Sup) and it has ran pretty good since day one. I started with 38 Sup and factory mags with its base pads. Other than minor tuning of the magazine, it ran good. Changed the extractor to an Aftec (just because I had it) Dawson/Grams mag guts and 8# recoil spring, it runs everything from 38 Super, 38 SC and 9mm. To me it seems more like the 9mm ones have more issues than the 38 Sup one.