Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DVC Issues

Kdenny

Just purchased a DVC and took it to the range over the weekend.  Other than a few issues with MBX magazines Saturday, all went well.  Decided to shoot local steel match yesterday.  All good for the first three stages then three stovepipes on stage 4.  RO suggested scope mount may be interfering with ejection.  On to stage 5 and the wheels came off.  Gun would not cycle.  Felt like slide was catching on something before returning to battery.  I applied additional oil and still could not get the slide to return without a nudge.  Ended my match and went home.  Completely degreased and generously oiled again thinking some grime may be causing the issue - although hard to believe after just 200 +/- rounds.  Slide still getting hung up and requires a nudge to seat a bullet.

I inspected the slide for damage or burrs and could not find anything.

Any ideas?

Hmm I have the 38 Super DVC and had no issues, but I did try to run 38 Super in it first then found a little tag in the box that said it was tuned to run Supercomp. So I run that now with no issues. 

Nothing on the frame to hold up? Does the Gun go back into battery without a bullet?

Look at the ejector. They have had some issues with them bending. Happened on mine, slide would not work at all, had to force it off. Sent it back for some other warranty work and STI replaced it with a tuned one. I installed a Brazos Tuned ejector, but did not like where it threw the brass. Hit the scope mount on occasion. The one STI installed works perfect.

gerritm

1 hour ago, Kdenny said:

It will go back into battery, but no smoothly.  It if definitely dragging on something.

If it's dragging without chambering a round, it sounds like it could be the Disconnector.  If the Disco is binding in it's hole, it can cause the symptoms you're experiencing.  Take the slide off and try pushing the Disco down with a punch.  Does it move smoothly up and down?  Now try it with the trigger depressed.  Does it pop up smoothly after you release the trigger?   If it's sticky, it may be interference in the Disco hole or improperly adjusted pre-travel causing the Disco to bind on the Sear Legs.  Also need to look for any obvious interference issues such as the ejector dragging on the slide.

I will check the disconnector when I get home this evening.  The ejector looked good, but I have ordered a tuned ejector from  Brazos.  

Yes, I did field strip, degreaser and applied lube (Slide Glide).  

Thank you

mine (38 super) malf'd big time the first range/break in session, over a couple of hundred rounds.  took it home, stripped and thoroughly cleaned and oiled and it's been pretty much perfect since, other than a few clearly magazine-related issues.  i did immediately turn the c-more sideways as i like it low to the bore.  hope you get yours fixed!

I had a similar issue with a DVC Open 9mm, went through all the usual suspects such as the disco binding, extractor tension etc. As it were, I found massive burrs on the frame rails, STI warrantied the issue. Pretty hard to believe that this could have passed QC.

17 hours ago, tyler2you said:

Deficient

Value

Certainly

Very well put. I bought the gun as a back up and certainly wasn't expecting too much as I'm well aware DVC's are a mass produced factory gun (I figured I would have to tune the extractor, trigger work etc.- the usual). But, after 50 rounds and the slide completely locking up due to massive burrs on the frame rails...that is just comical. Also, STI states that they don't use MIM parts.

Does STI use any MIM parts?

A: In the Past STI has used high quality MIM parts. We no longer use MIM parts on our firearms, we use the highest quality machined parts available.

My DVC Open's grip safety tells a different story...

DVC Grip Safety.jpg

So my friend has one: What a F%$&@&&@ing JOKE of a gun.  It has been back to STI several times.

My Trojan sits in the safe.  I'll keep just so I can say I have a 45 1911.  :-)

My friend  is looking for a named builder to build him a new gun but the 12 month wait is hard to swallow.

At this point anyone who ignores the mountains of evidence and still buys a DVC kinda gets what they deserve.  The probability is just extremely high that you're going to have slight to serious issues.  It blows my mind how many I've seen to be problematic.

What do you expect from a "Parts Bin" built gun? They look cool, but looking cool does not offset the fact that these things are manufactured in a way that allows them to simply pull parts from a bin, slap them together with minimal fitting needed, then ship them out the door. That may work for low volume use guns purchased by plinkers who really don't shoot them much. But putting those type of guns into a competition environment is going to expose every single flaw and shortcut taken. The track record of issues with these guns can't be refuted either. There IS a significant problem. 

I wish STI the best and hope that they resolve the issues. But damn, these DVC's are becoming a significant black eye in the competition world.

so how many have been sold now (1000s?) and we have a dozen guys on the internet having issues.  granted there should be NONE with that kinda coin, but i have real live buddies that have sent CK's, Nighthawks and Wilson's back and those are even more coin.  just a little tired of all the STI bashing when my stash of STI's have been pretty good to me and the vast majority i see at matches run well also.

I have to agree with davsco. I have had no issues with my Limited and Open DVC. They have run for me right out of the box and the only issue I had with my open was something that I did. I ran 38 Super ammo in it when it came from the factory tuned for SuperComp. I changed ammo and it's running great. I would be curious to see what the actual % of defects is for them. If STI sells 5000 DVC Opens and they have 50 that have issues then its the same as another custom who builds 10 and has 1 come back. As we all know if one person has a good experience they will tell 1 person, but if they have a bad experience they will tell 10. No one ever calls a customer service number to tell them they make a great product.

Now issues out of the box are one thing, but how many of these issues are user error. Not Cleaning, wrong ammo loads, ect.