Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird Stoeger M3000 malfunction

Mike9250

Was shooting an all shotgun match the other day.  Very first stage my gun had a weird jam that I have never experienced.  One shell was on the lifter and another had popped out of the mag tube and jammed itself against the one on the lifter.  I fixed it but it cost me a few seconds.  I think it basically spit out two shells from the tube instead of one.  Gun ran perfectly for the rest of the day, 200 plus rounds.  Not sure if it was just a fluke, or if I should change some parts.  I can't duplicate the problem.  Gun was cleaned and lubed before the match.  The only other thing I had done was torn it down to open up the loading port some more.  Thanks for any opinions.  

Edited by Mike9250

Until the same malfunction repeats itself I wouldn't bother doing anything.  You didn't cause it so there's no technique to change.  There's no mag, like in a rifle or pistol, so you can't mark it and move on.  Could be the ammo, but until it happens again, I would just count it up to a fluke.  I had a click the other day (primer didn't fire).  It had never happened before and hasn't happened again.  I haven't lost sleep over it and certainly didn't change anything.

Doing nothing is my advice.

Sounds to me like the interruptor got stuck for a second, that can be part of the recoil experience or just something stick for a second.  As CHLchris said don't do anything until the problem is consistent.

Thanks for the replies.  I ordered a spare shell latch just in case, but I'm just going to keep running it as-is and see what happens.  The loading port is opened up quite a bit.  I tried to see if I could move the shell around enough to get it to slip past the latch, but it seems to hold them pretty well.  

• 3 years later...