Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds before you guys clean your tanfo and what do you use to cleen them?

Joeyxbat

Brake cleaner, then lubed with 10/30 motor oil and red synthetic bearing grease.

Every few thousand rounds or so. I'm not picky.

Historically my guns have gone 2 to 5 thousand rounds between cleanings. They do get oiled before every range trip - I'm just not obsessive about having a spotless gun. I grew out of that a long time ago, just like most USPSA shooters seem to.

A good thorough detail cleaning happens whenever I go into it to change hammer springs or something... or before a major match.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Brake cleaner, then lubed with 10/30 motor oil and red synthetic bearing grease.

Every few thousand rounds or so. I'm not picky.

Historically my guns have gone 2 to 5 thousand rounds between cleanings. They do get oiled before every range trip - I'm just not obsessive about having a spotless gun. I grew out of that a long time ago, just like most USPSA shooters seem to.

A good thorough detail cleaning happens whenever I go into it to change hammer springs or something... or before a major match.

Awesome! Can i use any brand or is there a particular brand i should get? Sorry for late response, was off today buy got called to work overtime.

Agree with Memphis. ..... Brake Cleaner Non Chloride. .... Mobil 1 Synthetic (1Qt last forever) or Frog Lube for the smell

Every 1500 rds or so for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I spend the a day this weekend looking for the right stuff to use on my limpro. Went to academy and walmart. In my head im saying, what to use not to mess up that beautiful pistol. Lol... Good thing i left empty handed. 

Damn, just add some nice smell on the brake cleaner and you can makes lots of freaking money. 

I also use synthetic oil on my car. 

Thanks again guys!

17 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

If I see another cleaning thread... I'm going to make a thread about how many times I have to shake my dick at a urinal before it's considered playing with it. 

Ryan, no one is forcing you to read those posts...and I'd like to point this bit of the forum guidelines out...

Offensive Material
Please do not post offensive material. If you wouldn't want your 10 year-old to read it, please don't post it. This also applies to links in posts. If what's in a link (text or video) would not be appropriate if it was typed in a post, it is not acceptable. If in doubt about your post's content, please PM a Moderator before posting.

Thanks,

GrumpyOne

If you enforced search rules as much as my phallic references, maybe your words would have bearing. 

Also, the guidelines link is down. May want to fix that. 

Do You Want Ants 06032017111421.jpg

By the way... It's a joke... Not a humorous colloquialism refering to male genetalia... So dont take it so hard.

Edited by ryridesmotox

Just cleaned mine. Had around 2-3k rounds through it and the trigger wasn't resetting in single action. Non chlorinated brake cleaner is my usual go to and whatever oil I have. Lucas or Mobile1. I have used Mpro7 before which works pretty well, but it doesn't blast the gunk out like brake clean does.

7 hours ago, Malarkey said:

Just cleaned mine. Had around 2-3k rounds through it and the trigger wasn't resetting in single action. Non chlorinated brake cleaner is my usual go to and whatever oil I have. Lucas or Mobile1. I have used Mpro7 before which works pretty well, but it doesn't blast the gunk out like brake clean does.

Are shooting with factory ammo or reloads? Im using factory ammo and i dont want any problems with my gun during a match. 

1 hour ago, michael1one said:

When it gets dirty. WIth the jacketed bullets, it doesn't seem to affect accuracy.  Usually end the day at the range with 100 yard shots.  But when i use cheap ammo, the grime gets all over the place and I have to clean it.  

I shoot with factory ammo and it gets dirty fast. So, i gotta clean mine more often.

2 hours ago, Joeyxbat said:

Are shooting with factory ammo or reloads? Im using factory ammo and i dont want any problems with my gun during a match. 

I'm using Titegroup powder, arguably one of the dirtiest pistol powders that is out there. 

If you OIL and not clean, you can  build up grunge in places where bad stuff can happen. Especially with dirty powders. This can be in the firing pin channel or the extractor channel or elsewhere.

I solved an extraction problem on a person's S2 last year.  it was just oiled before matches and not cleaned. The extractor was caked solid and that caused the fail to extract issue.

Even if you don't detail clean, at least inspect. If goobers are  forming, fix it. The frustration you eliminate will be your own.

I go 500 to 3000 rounds between real cleaning.  a quick hose out with brake cleaner a bore snake and some oil before a match is normal. 

Edited by johnbu

22 hours ago, johnbu said:

If you OIL and not clean, you can  build up grunge in places where bad stuff can happen. Especially with dirty powders. This can be in the firing pin channel or the extractor channel or elsewhere.

I solved an extraction problem on a person's S2 last year.  it was just oiled before matches and not cleaned. The extractor was caked solid and that caused the fail to extract issue.

Even if you don't detail clean, at least inspect. If goobers are  forming, fix it. The frustration you eliminate will be your own.

I go 500 to 3000 rounds between real cleaning.  a quick hose out with brake cleaner a bore snake and some oil before a match is normal. 

Thanks johnbu, I think this sum it all for me! I gotta be honest, I haven't really done too much inspection on my gun before i go to a match. I usually just wipe is down put some oil, rack the slide and pull the trigger. I will definitely will follow your advice and share it to my shooting buddies. 

CRC Electronics cleaner from Walmart's automotive section.  Clean about every 2k rounds, but it really depends entirely on how much dirt and grit get blown into the gun.  I only shoot outdoors, and my state is quite windy.  In fact the wind is mentioned in the state song.

Diesel fuel to scrub carbon off. 

Disassemble gun, let soak in tote of diesel fuel overnight or for a couple hours, scrub off with brass brush.

Scrub barrel out with precision rifle barrel cleaner.

Run patches through until clean, oil barrel with patches.

Grease slide, trigger bar, plunger, inside of firing pin channel, firing pin, hammer spring, hammer spring channel, outside of barrel, inside of slide where barrel rubs.

Oil sear. 

Reassemble, shoot gun.

I do this about every 2k.

14 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

CRC Electronics cleaner from Walmart's automotive section.  Clean about every 2k rounds, but it really depends entirely on how much dirt and grit get blown into the gun.  I only shoot outdoors, and my state is quite windy.  In fact the wind is mentioned in the state song.

I think i have a bottle that used i while ago. I just got my membership at local outdoor range and I'm very excited to practice shooting there. 

13 hours ago, WJM said:

Diesel fuel to scrub carbon off. 

Disassemble gun, let soak in tote of diesel fuel overnight or for a couple hours, scrub off with brass brush.

Scrub barrel out with precision rifle barrel cleaner.

Run patches through until clean, oil barrel with patches.

Grease slide, trigger bar, plunger, inside of firing pin channel, firing pin, hammer spring, hammer spring channel, outside of barrel, inside of slide where barrel rubs.

Oil sear. 

Reassemble, shoot gun.

I do this about every 2k.

Thanks WJM!

I field strip, spray Liquid Wrench, and lay it on newspapers.  A movie later I scrub, spray with brake cleaner and lube with ATF fluid and grease.  I clean every 2k rounds or so.

I used an ultra sonic cleaner a few times and it works well.