Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped my effing pistol

JFoley001

First shooter in the squad, first stage of the year at this particular club. Ran the COF, unload show clear, slide forward hammer down, place pistol in new Ghost ultimate holster, well almost...plunk. Right in the sand. Fortunately pistol was unloaded, and I haven't a clue how its even possible for a pistol to fall forward off one of these holsters and not muzzle anyone and everything behind it. Big wake up call. Threw me off for the ret of the day and definitely left the match feeling defeated. Shit happens, learn and move on I guess.

The Ghost works great. I do test the gun to make sure it is in before letting go. I always lock it with the lever up so you have to reach in with your thumb to unhook it between stages.

3 minutes ago, z40acp said:

The Ghost works great. I do test the gun to make sure it is in before letting go. I always lock it with the lever up so you have to reach in with your thumb to unhook it between stages.

Me too. NOW :)

I think if ghost just put a small but strong magnet to help with retention, it would greatly improve the design.  I really like the Ghost, but if you run a heavy metal grip with a 170mm big stick, it rolls back and the dust cover doesn't contact the holster anymore, kinda freaks me out.

5 hours ago, missed it by that much said:

I always check before letting go

Me, too.   And I don't use a ghost.

I saw two fine gentlemen DQ'd the same day, in the same squad,

for this problem - now I check Every Time.    :) 

17 hours ago, lee blackman said:

I think if ghost just put a small but strong magnet to help with retention, it would greatly improve the design.  I really like the Ghost, but if you run a heavy metal grip with a 170mm big stick, it rolls back and the dust cover doesn't contact the holster anymore, kinda freaks me out.

I think that is a pretty good idea.

31 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

You didn't get DQ'd?

No sir.

10.5.14  Retrieving a dropped handgun:  A dropped gun must always be retrieved by a Range Officer who will ensure it is unloaded and properly secured in the competitor's holster or a suitable container. The Range Officer may, at his discretion, secure the gun himself or return it to the competitor who will secure it under supervision of the Range Officer.  Dropping an unloaded handgun or causing it to fall outside of a course of fire is not an infraction; however, a competitor who retrieves a dropped handgun will receive a match disqualification.

Edited by JFoley001

22 hours ago, JFoley001 said:

First shooter in the squad, first stage of the year at this particular club. Ran the COF, unload show clear, slide forward hammer down, place pistol in new Ghost ultimate holster, well almost...plunk. Right in the sand. Fortunately pistol was unloaded, and I haven't a clue how its even possible for a pistol to fall forward off one of these holsters and not muzzle anyone and everything behind it. Big wake up call. Threw me off for the ret of the day and definitely left the match feeling defeated. Shit happens, learn and move on I guess.

Had the RO called "range is clear" yet? If he did then you are good to keep shooting.  If not you should have been DQ'ed. 

12 minutes ago, JFoley001 said:

Range was not cleared by RO. Should have been a DQ then. Now what?

13 minutes ago, JFoley001 said:

Range was not cleared by RO. Should have been a DQ then. Now what?

Nothing. I would take it a step further than Grumpy and maybe email the MD and let him know he has/had an RO who is unfamiliar with the rules

While I was preparing for an Open Nationals one year I stuck my STI in my DAA Racemaster with a fully loaded big stick.  Bent over to pick up brass and the whole shebang fell out of the holster.  Of course it lands on the side mounted Cmore and cracks the housing near the lens.  And of course its a few days before I was supposed to leave.

Painfull lesson learned; always double check that the gun is secured in the holster by sticking it in, locking it and tugging on it.  Can't blame the holster for my screwup, if the gun is properly locked by the operator you'll get a world class wedgie trying to pull that gun out of that RM!

On 3/7/2017 at 3:01 PM, blaster113 said:

always double check that the gun is secured in the holster by sticking it in, locking it and tugging on it.  if the gun is properly locked by the operator you'll get a world class wedgie trying to pull that gun out of that RM!

yep i lock and then firmly tug before even thinking of letting go.  every single time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:26 AM, Lilmick said:

I run the ghost holster, fortunately I haven't had this happen yet. But it does worry me between stages and when helping reset COF.

Easy solution. The ONLY time that pistol is not LOCKED in the holster is during make ready, and the draw. You wont be moving during either of these instances, and the pistol should be locked in at all other times.