Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass cleaning questions

Eric1231

I run mine for 4 hours or so.  Once in a while I add some polish.  Don't really think the polish does a whole lot tho.  As far as the media goes, I change it when it gets real dark and doesn't seem to be getting the brass as clean as I like.  I know thats a little vague but that one you'll probably have to get a feel for yourself.  It does last quite a while tho. 

I run close to 300 rounds of 9mm for about 3 hours, I add some car polish, can't remember the name but it is in an orange plastic bottle.  Maybe called "Nu finish" or something like that.  I find if I add more brass it does not clean as well.  I have the Franklin armory vibratory tumbler that holds about two gallons.  

I change media when when it gets dark colored but I am careful not to breath the dust as I am told it is full of little nasties. 

Edited by Rustygun

I run my cases for 3 hours in crushed walnut (without additives). Then the cases are placed into another tumbler containing corncob plus NuFinish car wax which polishes the cases and leaves a very smooth surface on them. My object is to reduce resistance as the cartridge cycles through the pistol. 

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

I'm tumbling in walnut

harbor freight tumbler

nufinish

ihavent gone over 1 hour...... 

Now im curios to what longer tumble looks like......

i always wear wear a mask when separating brass fro media.... And do it outside.....

how many runs on dirty brass before you change media?

Two FA vibratory cleaners.  One with crushed walnut shell media that cleans the brass up before resizing.  It usually runs 4 to 5 hrs.  I recently bought an appliance timer from Lowes.  I plugged it in, charged up the internal battery and then unplugged it to program it (time, date, etc.)  I plugged one of the vibratory cleaners into it.  Then I can set it for 4 hrs (on 1 hr.) turn it on and go in for the evening and it will shut off when it counts down to zero time.

The second vibratory cleaner has crushed walnut shell media in it but I add about a table spoon full of Nu Finish car wax to it about every 2nd run.  I run the brass through this one about 3 to 4 hrs. and the brass comes out noticeably brighter/shinier.

Brass on the left just cleaned.  Brass on the right polished.  Yea, I still load some .38 specials.  Got a couple old K frame S&W's that need to eat, too.

IMG_0259_zpsitbr6mpk.jpg

I run them from 2-24 hours in crushed walnut for cleaning, then again in crushed corncob for shine. Just depends on how ugly they are to start with. I use both rotating and vibrating tumblers. I change the media out 4 to 6 times a year. I don't use anything extra as electricity is cheaper than polish. I also vibrate my loaded rounds in corncob to clean off the case lube for 10 minutes to no more than 1 hour. That media I change out whenever it turns from yellow to grey color.

I would run mine overnight, using an 8 hour timer. They still weren't as clean as 20 minutes in a solution of car wash & lemishine with pins. And I use my vibrating tumbler for that too, just keep the level below the raised center part. 

2 hours in a mix of corn cob and walnut is enough.  Longer will make them shinier.  I can't remember when I dumped the media last.  It might be time...but it still works.