Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI 9 major bending ejector

user293

The ejector on my gun has been bending out to the left slightly and have been trying to figure out why.  Straightened it and Went out and hand cycled some rounds and now it appears the ejector is stuck behind the lip of the interchangeable breach face preventing the slide from coming back to takedown position. Any suggestion on why the ejector is bending? Gun has a decent amount of rounds on it could be wore out? And how how the hell can I get the slide off to change it? Thanks for the help

They are touching it but the ejector is bending still without touching the mags. And it's not bending up it's bending out to the left. Just wonder if I should install the Brazos or put and SV back in once I can get the slide off. 

I got the slide off by bending the ejector through the bottom of the grip. Cleared the interchangeable breach face and took the slide off. Need to replace the ejector. Could a tight extractor be the culprit for the bending? I've noticed the gun runs fine but hand cycling like taking the round out at the end of a stage, the round just falls and doesn't really eject. Almost never can flip and catch the round because it just dribbles out. Just trying to find the cause of bent ejector. 

9 minutes ago, al503 said:

Have you tried putting a loaded mag and checking for clearance?  It could be the case hitting the ejector.

Yea they touch  but I don't do alot of reloading. I mean you'd have to hit it pretty good. Plus hand cycling the gun bent it far enough over to lock up. I mean maybe I could have it it hard once, bent it and now it's weak and the ejecting rounds are bending it over? Would the Dawson mag catch that prevents over insertion work on an SVI steel grip? 

Before changing out the mag release, I would relieve the underside of the ejector until neither the case or the magazine lip touches it.  Just conjecture but it could be the round pushing up and out on the bottom of the ejector as it's being stripped from the magazine.   Hope that made sense.

Regardless of the bending issue, there should be some daylight between the ejector and the mag lips/ammo.  

1 hour ago, al503 said:

Before changing out the mag release, I would relieve the underside of the ejector until neither the case or the magazine lip touches it.  Just conjecture but it could be the round pushing up and out on the bottom of the ejector as it's being stripped from the magazine.   Hope that made sense.

Regardless of the bending issue, there should be some daylight between the ejector and the mag lips/ammo.  

Sounds good I'll try it. It seems to bend rather easy now but if I make a relief cut maybe there won't be any pressure anymore and it will stay. 

Exactly.  The only real force the ejector should be subject to is longitudinal with only the empty brass rim hitting it.  

Just go slow and remove material only where you need to.  

19 hours ago, al503 said:

Exactly.  The only real force the ejector should be subject to is longitudinal with only the empty brass rim hitting it.  

Just go slow and remove material only where you need to.  

So I got the ejector off and filed it down. Had to take a decent amount off because the mags push up pretty high. A little concerning. It still touches but not as bad. I don't want to take too much material off. I'm wondering what I can do about the mag sitting too high. They are all old style svi mags. Maybe new style won't sit so high? Or I could try the Dawson mag release, if it fits? 

Many were enlarging the mag catch hole upwards on the new style SV mags so they could seat it in non SV frames.  This basically makes the mag sit lower so you wouldn't have the interference issue.  Now, whether that is the correct way to make the new style SV mags work is a different question.  I got a couple of the new SV mags for practice only (this was before MBX and now STI came out with their new mags) and enlarged the mag catch hole.  They work without a hitch.  

I honestly don't know about the Dawson mag release.  If I were you, I might consider filing down your existing mag release very slightly.  

i have had the same issue w and sti trubor 9mm. i took it to benny hill, he made me a new ejector and tweeked the factory extractor..bacically keeping the mag from hitting the ejector was the issue plus the factory one was a little long.  no issues so far after fix

i ended up just installing a new sv ejector. i had to trim the underside of the old one so far it just got really thin. and the mags still touched when applying pressure from the bottom. so my next step is just to use SV factory new style mags and hope they are tighter and dont have the upward play that the others do. tough to fit parts to a factory SV gun because usually only SV parts work on SV guns. we will see how it goes.