Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Racer Pouches Coming Loose

GlockGuy1

I've got a set of 3 racer pouches for my 2011 and they have play in them after one dry-fire session.  They never get any looser so I'm not worried about them falling off, but it is annoying to have your mags changing angles all the time.  I've tried blue and green Loctite, but neither of them helped.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

DAA makes some awesome products, but drive me nuts with their undersized ball joints.  They have some really good looking stuff, but man, if you don't lock tight the heck out of it, it always comes loose.  I really wish Saul would consider going a little more robust with his stuff.  Bigger screws, bigger balls, bigger is better.

Make sure you degrease the screws and the female insert before applying LocTite.  I have been using Racers for both production and single stack for several years and have never had them loosen with blue LocTite.  I soak the screws in Acetone for 10 minutes before I assembled them, and then used a Q-tip to put some acetone in the female threads.  Try not to get the acetone on the plastic.  If they are not degreased properly before hand the LocTite will not hold.  

If we are talking Racers, then the screw should not have to be very tight to keep the "teeth" locked together. 

What CAN happen on Racers, is that the "toothed" washer that is pressed into the mag pouch body can develop some play between it and the body of the pouch.  The pouch will tilt just slightly in either direction even when the screw seems snug. I have put a few drops of super glue between the two to cure this in the past. 

43 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

If we are talking Racers, then the screw should not have to be very tight to keep the "teeth" locked together. 

What CAN happen on Racers, is that the "toothed" washer that is pressed into the mag pouch body can develop some play between it and the body of the pouch.  The pouch will tilt just slightly in either direction even when the screw seems snug. I have put a few drops of super glue between the two to cure this in the past. 

Thanks, maybe that's what is going on, because the screw is VERY tight, but there is still some play as soon as I pull the mag out just a few times.

1 hour ago, zen_grasshopper said:

Make sure you degrease the screws and the female insert before applying LocTite.  I have been using Racers for both production and single stack for several years and have never had them loosen with blue LocTite.  I soak the screws in Acetone for 10 minutes before I assembled them, and then used a Q-tip to put some acetone in the female threads.  Try not to get the acetone on the plastic.  If they are not degreased properly before hand the LocTite will not hold.  

I will also take this into account and see if it will help the problem.  Thanks for the advice.

3 minutes ago, GlockGuy1 said:

Thanks, maybe that's what is going on, because the screw is VERY tight, but there is still some play as soon as I pull the mag out just a few times.

No prob.

If the screw is tight, but the pouch will still wiggle with a little force, it is either loose on the belt, or has the issue I described above. 

the teeth in the actual adjustment will not wiggle if the screw is snug. 

9 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

No prob.

If the screw is tight, but the pouch will still wiggle with a little force, it is either loose on the belt, or has the issue I described above. 

the teeth in the actual adjustment will not wiggle if the screw is snug. 

I guess I better be very certain that I have the right angle before I super-glue the teeth together.

55 minutes ago, GlockGuy1 said:

I guess I better be very certain that I have the right angle before I super-glue the teeth together.

No, do not glue the two "toothed" discs together!

The toothed washer or "disc" that is pressed into the body of the pouch can slip on the pouch.  It will almost look like it is molded onto the pouch itself, but it is pressed into the pouch.  This relationship is what I glued together.  It does not affect the ability to adjust the cant of the pouch. 

57 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

No, do not glue the two "toothed" discs together!

The toothed washer or "disc" that is pressed into the body of the pouch can slip on the pouch.  It will almost look like it is molded onto the pouch itself, but it is pressed into the pouch.  This relationship is what I glued together.  It does not affect the ability to adjust the cant of the pouch. 

Wow, thanks for clarifying.  That could have turned out pretty bad for me.

Sanders has it right. Do not glue the two halves of the toothed washer together. Pop the half off the pouch then glue it back in. 

Fwiw my racers stay tight a looong time. 

My race masters on the other hand came loose a lot when new. After 4-5 re tightens they settled in and now my only issue is the first pouch (gets the most use) comes loose every now and then and the magnet mounted to it also comes loose and eventually strips the hole. I then make that pouch further back and promote the next in line to magnet duty by tapping the pouch for the magnet screw. The problem is a very strong magnet mounted with a steel screw into a very thin section of threaded aluminium. 

The magnet on the racers actually holds up better as it sits in a steel threaded insert that is melted into the plastic. 

Sounds like we all have a similar issue, mine did it a few times when I first got them maybe 3 years now but haven't loosened for at least a year and I'm not gentle in the way I treat my rig. I just check it before any major match to confirm they haven't come loose. Mins are SS version.  

• 1 year later...

Mine always work loose but they are easy to adjust for odd stages that you may want a different grab.  I always carry a wrench and tight them.  But what can I say I am an open 3 gun shooter so messing with my gear is half my time.