Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple Failures to Feed

leam

Back to being a Newbie again; first match in a few years. Ran a full sized SIG P320 9mm with WWB 115gr. Multiple issues where the slide didn't feed the round and I had to cycle the slide manually. In range time the WWB has performed flawlessly, is there anything that might cause this besides the trigger monkey needing to fully seat the mag? I'm pretty sure my grip was solid and the gun hasn't been modified at all. 

Being new into USPSA you might be thinking that your grip is sufficient but during a match situation some people tend to let there grip lax a bit. And during a match you may not even realize you are no longer gripping hard and might be causing the issues. Next live fire practice session play with your grip and see if you can induce a failure.

It's also possible that everything might need a good cleaning. A few polymer guns of mine do weird things after the get really dirty. And make sure your mags are clean and fully seated too.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'm fairly certain, and even hoping, that it's operator error. The gun was cleaned and lubed and the mags hadn't hit the ground when the first instance happened. The fired round was ejected and the slide was partially forward but unable to close fully and had not stripped a round from the mag. Since the slide had gone back far enough to pull the fired case against the ejector the "thumb ride" or not fully seated mag seem the most likely.

So far my plan is to practice solid reloads and pay attention to where my thumbs are next match. We'll see how it goes. 

Thanks all, I appreciate your wisdom!

Leam

WWB is notorious for having issues. It's not all the time so when you get a bad box or something it's a surprise. I would switch it to something with a better track record and a little hotter. Just my 2 cents and I hope you get the issue worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Really bad today, Half a dozen issues during the match. What I find odd is that I've done range shooting with WWB and not had any issues.

Edited by leam

41 minutes ago, leam said:

What I find odd is that I've done range shooting with WWB and not had any issues.

That's Murphy's Law for you ....

My Law is that Murphy is an optimist.

Possible that all the problems are from one particular mag, one

you don't use in practice, but use during matches?

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I've pulled the two mags that had the issue on one stage. Will give them a look and a clean up and then make some time to shoot them. 

Due to a significant loss of revenue my practice has been mostly dry-fire. Last year when I was range shooting more the failures to load came on my reloads so that was the suspect. Now I'm not so sure. Since Uncle Sam gave me back some of my money I'll get a range membership and do some testing. 

I have to admit to not really practicing "tap rack bang" much yet. That'll change, got the dummy rounds in.

Number your magazines with a sharpie if you haven't, but my money is on some sort of grip issue slowing the slide, or not sufficiently anchoring the gun in place at speed.

Concentrate on consistently placing your thumbs in the right spot on the draw. Along with crushing the gun with your weak hand grip as hard as you reasonably can.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible you have weak springs in a mag or two?  If it is one mag that is causing the issue (or maybe two), I think it could possibly be weak springs in the mag and it isn't pushing the round up fast enough before the slide tries to go into battery to feed it home.  I have seen this several times in some of my student's firearms that have been shot a ton.  As a quick correction, I have actually removed the mag springs, stretched them a touch (I'm not talking about going nuts or anything) and put the mag back together and poof, the firearm was flawless through the rest of my class.  I then suggested to that student that they purchase a new mag.  I just did the spring trick to see if it would help the issue.  Most times if you press on the follower and it seems fairly easy to push on, it will cause issues.  For some reason, I have noticed this more in 9mm's than in .40's or .45's.  Don't ask me why, but it just has been the pattern I have seen with my students.  And this was for all types of firearms, mind you, not any specific firearm or ammo.

At least give it a try and see if it helps you.  Then again, the others may be correct as well, that it is your grip or not hammering the mag home well enough and it slips and/or moves once shot and that causes the next round not to load like it should. :( 

Took the two mags to the range. Have installed a Gray Guns Fat Guide rod mostly because it lets you use a non-captured 1911 recoil spring. Slow-fired 50 lightly loaded rounds (147 grain Lucky13's over 3.2 gr VV N320) from the two magazines. No failures. Did 30 more slightly hotter rounds (3.5gr VV N320) and still no issue. Didn't try the factory guide rod and spring with the reduced loads. 

6 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

Is this a new guide rod since you have been having the issues or is this the same guide rod you have had in the gun since the issues started?

New guide rode and new load. Forgot to grab some of the WWB to test the guide rod. The WWB was the load that had been in the gun during the failures. 

Oh okay...well, that'll do it.  Seems like you changed everything, so it is hard to diagnose if everything was changed at once.  LOL  But I'm glad if the problem has gone away.

Same gun, shooter, mags. I need to test the reloads with the factory spring, but really it's about a 5% occurrence so I'd have to blow a few boxes to prove the change. I'm not that rich yet. :)