Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MKA mags

DialTone301

Are the 18 and 23 round mags reliable?  

My daughter has a new Firebird Precision TAC-12 and is interested in mags larger than the 10 rd ones she is using.  Her gun is running 100% with the 10's and 5's.  I am considering the 18 and 23 rd ones that T&N sell but wondered about reliabilty with that many rounds in a mag.

Opinions?

From past experiences is all about the tune up of the follower and the coupled section on the mag. If you build it yourself make sure theres no drag or stick ups.

If im not mistaking the T&N are already tuned so you should have no issues.

Edited by akaider

My T & N 24 rounder works and my 18 round Firebird mag works after putting in a T & N spring. The Firebird spring was a little weaker and once in awhile wouldn't feed the next round. I used the big spring and kept cutting coils off it until I could load 18 rounds, then tested it.

gerritm

I prefer the 18 over the 23 and the 28 for longer shotgun stages when necessary. The mags come semi-tuned. They may be plug and play, they may not be. We always recommend tuning the feed lips for your individual gun to ensure 100% reliability. That said my mags are 100%

She has 2 of the T&N 10 rounders and they work perfectly.  We originally thought she might try 2 10's coupled but she feels like it is awkward.  The 18 should be about perfect.  I think she would have issues carrying anything any longer (she is small).

The 18 is an all steel mag which is much lighter than the steel/poly mags we sell. Typically it is my go to mag for 80% of stages.

The 28rd steel empty is a half pound lighter than the 23rd steel/poly empty.

The Tooth & Nail all steel mags are great!  I run them in my Firebird TAC-12.  

That said, I still do have to fine tune them because I'm getting an occasional double feed.  IIRC, the most common cause for that is feed lips too wide, correct?

17 minutes ago, Todd7446 said:

The Tooth & Nail all steel mags are great!  I run them in my Firebird TAC-12.  

That said, I still do have to fine tune them because I'm getting an occasional double feed.  IIRC, the most common cause for that is feed lips too wide, correct?

Typically double feeds are caused by the front of the feed lips being to wide. As a general rule the front needs to be a minimum of .010" narrower than the rear. Measurements are taken about 1/2" apart.

14 minutes ago, LoganbillJ said:

Typically double feeds are caused by the front of the feed lips being to wide. As a general rule the front needs to be a minimum of .010" narrower than the rear. Measurements are taken about 1/2" apart.

Thanks Josh.  I thought I'd read that somewhere.

I have one of big T&N mags, but could never get it to run right in my MKA1919 "Match" model (the newest model with the moving feed lips.) I have 5 ten rounders and 5 five rounders that are all 100% functional, unmodified. 

bigmagthatdoesntwork.thumb.jpg.5470ca83c666c89e708b1c989d172c0e.jpg

No matter what I did, at around round 12-14, it did this (see photo.)

Jam.thumb.jpg.1d4a769ef74081331c28e58e975eb8b5.jpg

I'd love to try the all steel 28 rounder (even at $200 a pop) or 18 rounder, but don't want to get stuck with another paperweight.

Edited by Benl

4 hours ago, Benl said:

I have one of big T&N mags, but could never get it to run right in my MKA1919 "Match" model (the newest model with the moving feed lips.) I have 5 ten rounders and 5 five rounders that are all 100% functional, unmodified. 

bigmagthatdoesntwork.thumb.jpg.5470ca83c666c89e708b1c989d172c0e.jpg

No matter what I did, at around round 12-14, it did this (see photo.)

Jam.thumb.jpg.1d4a769ef74081331c28e58e975eb8b5.jpg

I'd love to try the all steel 28 rounder (even at $200 a pop) or 18 rounder, but don't want to get stuck with another paperweight.

Did you contact Tooth & Nail? I'm sure they would be glad to help you out, But possibly not till Monday after their big match.

Mine did about the same thing, gave it to Matt at a match we were both at, heard him do a bit of dremiling, he gave it back to me and it has worked great ever since. I suspect there is something in the transition between the two mags that needs some attention...

jj

• 2 weeks later...