Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powder for 9mm blowback carbine

Les,

I shot a good bit of WSF back in the day.  My only complaint was that it was not linear as you reached (and exceeded) maximum pressure.  It was always very clean

and would have been my first choice in the 9x21 Major day if not for the pressure anomalies.  It was cleaner than 540, but not as linear.

I am not impressed by the "cleanliness" of the Tite Group.  It leaves the gun pretty sooty and the cases are filthy, and you know how much I love cleaning guns...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leo

in my brief foray into .40SW, a fairly good shooter named Brian Enos recommended it to me at one of the matches down in Naples... when I switched from .45 to 9 after a link break in the 1911 at FB3G in 2005 I wanted to switch  from Clays...I previously had pretty good results with the intermediate burn rate shot shell propellants... and gave some of the left over WSF a try, liked it,  and haven't really searched the newer powders..., and at the time you could buy it by the pound from the Skyway trap club for IIRC $10 a pound if you brought the coffee can...

4.5 grs of WSF under a 115fmj at 1.150 nets 131pf.  

It is cleaner than Tite Group and also softer feeling.  Shooting them back to back,

the Tite Group load feels sharper.  The dot movement and group size is similar,

with a slight edge to WSF on both.  Considering that the WSF was higher velocity,

that makes WSF even more impressive.

2 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Yes, with 124's. You may even try 3.1 grains depending on your bullet type. Thanks, Eric

Debating sticking with PD JHP which does not seem popular for PCC or going to a Coated bullet like a 115BBI.

Hello: The popular bullets around here are Acme, Freedom, Blue Bullets, BBI, Montana Gold and Precision Delta. Berry's are nice bullets also. The plated and coated bullets take less powder and work very well. The AR9mm guys are running 115, 124, 135, 147 and 165's. The Sig MPX guys are running 115's and 124's mostly it seems. Powder choice are Tite Group, Universal Clays, and N320. I may try some more Universal Clays since I just got some more. Thanks, Eric

I have a Scorpion and run the Berry's thick plated or Blue Bullets.

I have tried Titegroup, Universal Clays, WSF, 231.

I run Universal in my CO XDM but WSF in the Scorpion gave me the cleanest and also the softest recoil impulse. Universal was not terrible, but Tite group was so dirty, I wonder if it would make it a through a large match!

35 minutes ago, Broncman said:

I run Universal in my CO XDM but WSF in the Scorpion gave me the cleanest and also the softest recoil impulse. Universal was not terrible, but Tite group was so dirty, I wonder if it would make it a through a large match!

I feel the exact same way about TG, really sooty and WSF feels better too.  

• 5 years later...
On 4/28/2017 at 6:23 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Nope. It burns the powder if you use faster powder like Tite Group but you still will get some soot on the brass and around the bolt etc. It is just what happens with blowback rifles. I just wipe it down with a rag along with the magazines. My Magpul Glock mags which have orange followers now look black. A quick wash in the sink with Simple Green and they look new. Thanks, Eric

I haven't noticed much powder residue shooting N320, but I will pay more attention to  the mags.  

• 4 weeks later...

When I started shooting Pcc I used autocomp because I had a lot. It was too dirty and lots of unburnt powder. Switched to titrgroup and that wasn't much better. I had a 4 pound jug if CSB1 that I bought during the Obama years panic. I gave it a try. It is the best pistol powder I have ever used. It's very clean and and shoots great. I ended up buying all I could from my friends. ( we split a barrel back then) I was told it's equivalent to universal. 

Cleanshot is great but after a couple years of it I am tired of cleaning out all the yellow cornmeal specs from the inside of my receivers. I switched to VV N320, compared to Cleanshot it's a lot more expensive, more temp stable, doesn't meter as well (tubular vs extra fine sphere) but it's not that big of a difference to matter, and best of all it doesn't leave the fine yellow specks everywhere. 

I still really like cleanshot, I'm just relegating it to handguns-only.