Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powder for 9mm blowback carbine

Just started shooting a 9mm blowback carbine -  Stag arms LH ..... I need to buy some powder for using 124gr bullets that will burn clean... I am presently using 5.0 gr Auto Comp which I find very dirty... and it sends the brass into the next zip code..  anyone have any suggestions of which powder & what load would be appreciated..  thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: Blowback guns run dirty, so there is really no super clean powder to use. I like a powder that wipes off easily and leaves little residue. So far I have used Winchester Super Target, Tite Group, N320, HP-38 and Universal Clays. So far I think Universal Clays is the cleanest with Tite Group a close second. I would use Tite Group at 3.1 grains to start. Check with a chrono to see your power factor. Thanks, Eric

I too just bought a PCC (PSA AR-9).  Today I chrono'd the rounds that I normally shoot in my 5.25-inch XDM in Carry Optics and Production.  Those use 124 grain MG CMJ's and 4.8 grains of CFE Pistol or Autocomp because I've found that for me the two to provide equal performance at the same loading.  In my XDM, they provide a 130 PF.  With the 16-inch PCC, they averaged a 147 PF.  If you are using 5.0 grains of Autocomp and 124 grain bullets I suspect you're getting a PF of over 150.  Have you chrono'd your rounds to see what they are really doing?

I made up a batch of rounds for the PCC this evening.  The OAL is 1.10 with a 124 grain MG CMJ and 4.5 grains of CFE Pistol.  I'll chrono those in a couple of days and adjust from there.  My goal is to get a load that provides a minimum 130 PF, reliably cycles the rifle and is as soft shooting as possible.

Edited by XD Niner

I've always had good results with the cooler burning Winchester ball process powders in lead pistol calibers... doesn't tend to burn the base of the bullet... when I switched to 9mm from .45 I switched to Win Super Field, and use a compromise loading for the PCC as well as the G34... 3.6 WSF and a 135 Bayou coated gives me 128pf for the G34 and 148pf for the PCC...I perceive the coated base of the Bayou gives slightly less leading in the comp than the 147 open base Precision Delta did...the "dirty" is really a grease like coating, and not any un burned propellant... YMMV

17 hours ago, vinconco said:

I just came into 25# of IMR 4756.   6.0 gr  124 coated works fine.  Clean burn too

That is some great powder for 38 super w/124gr bullets at major.  If you wanted some faster powders to try in your pcc you may be able to find a local open shooter and trade some of the SR4756 for a cleaner powder. (if you are in the Central Florida area, i would). 

I've had really good luck with American Select and Vectan GM3 - both burn cool and leave the PCC very clean with no junk or chunks.  Just a little light soot that is hardly noticeable and wipes away easily.  Shot a steel match yesterday with 125 grainers loaded with the last of some ww231 I had.  WW231 is a great powder but the compensator, lower and bolt needs a good cleaning now. 

So, I am in the faster powder camp.  Low NG content or single based preferred.   

3 hours ago, Old3GNR said:

I just received my new JP GMR-13 and tried my 9mm pistol load which is a 124 FMJ RN over 4.2 Tite-Group.   This ran 1200 fps, 148 PF.  I'm trying a new batch @ 3.5 grs.

I just chronoed the 3.5 gr load.  It ran 1017 fps, 126 PF.  1.15" OAL, 14-1/2" barrel

I've settled, at least for the time being, on a 124 grain MG CMJ bullet over 4.3 grains of CFE Pistol at a 1.10 OAL for my PSA 16-inch AR-9.  This produces a 133 PF.  After 700 rounds, the lower was relatively clean but did have some soot.  It cleaned up easily.  More importantly, every round went "bang" and the accuracy is good.

I'll probably try to reduce the charge a bit further to 4.1 grains which I suspect will give around a 128-130 PF.  I know from personal experience that I can't feel the difference between a 130 and a 133 PF so I may just leave well enough alone.  I don't want to go below a 130 PF.

Edited by XD Niner
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello: I loaded up some 147's with 2.9 grains of Tite Group. They chronoed at 141-144PF and is cleaner burning than some of the other powders I have tried so far. This is a new batch of Tite Group I am using now. Going to load up some at 2.7 grains and see how they work out. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I loaded up some 147's with 2.9 grains of Tite Group. They chronoed at 141-144PF and is cleaner burning than some of the other powders I have tried so far. This is a new batch of Tite Group I am using now. Going to load up some at 2.7 grains and see how they work out. Thanks, Eric

I'd love to know how that works out, since that would give me an additional 400 rounds per pound over my TG load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: I chronoed some Tite Group again today. 57 degrees and cloudy. 2.7 grains Tite Group, 147 grain Acme bullet, 1.145" OAL, Federal small pistol primers and mixed headstamp brass out of a Wilson Arms 16" barrel. The average over 10 shots was 132.1PF. Brass still looked pretty clean and the gun ran perfectly. Dot recovery was good and so where my splits. I think this will be the powder I will be using now. I may bump it up 0.1 grains just to be sure for a major match and also check it again when it is warmer. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I chronoed some Tite Group again today. 57 degrees and cloudy. 2.7 grains Tite Group, 147 grain Acme bullet, 1.145" OAL, Federal small pistol primers and mixed headstamp brass out of a Wilson Arms 16" barrel. The average over 10 shots was 132.1PF. Brass still looked pretty clean and the gun ran perfectly. Dot recovery was good and so where my splits. I think this will be the powder I will be using now. I may bump it up 0.1 grains just to be sure for a major match and also check it again when it is warmer. Thanks, Eric

How do you like your Wilson Arms barrel? I just got mine back from my buddy who turned it down for menaced on your recommendation. Going to order a comp next and give it a go next weekend.

9f58f3ce2d22c4c8d186352bbcf5a148.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Universal Clays because it has been very accurate in my XDM and meters very well. 

In my pistol I have tried, WSF, TiteGroup,231,Power Pistol, HS-6 and Autocomp. Keep coming back to Universal Clays.

Do have some WSF loads to try today in the PCC Scorpion.

How does fast vs slow powders in a carbine effect the recoil impulse?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: I shot area 6 this past weekend. Official chrono results using 2.9 grains Tite Group, Acme 147 grain bullet, Federal small pistol primers, mixed brass and an overall length of 1.145". Bullet weight was 146.9 grains, velocities 951,948,948 with and average of 949. This was shot out of a Wilson Arms 16" stainless barrel. Power factor was 139.5 at 78 degrees and about 900 feet above sea level. Looks like my normal 2.7-2.8 grain load would be good. Thanks, Eric