Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powder for 9mm blowback carbine

Just started shooting a 9mm blowback carbine -  Stag arms LH ..... I need to buy some powder for using 124gr bullets that will burn clean... I am presently using 5.0 gr Auto Comp which I find very dirty... and it sends the brass into the next zip code..  anyone have any suggestions of which powder & what load would be appreciated..  thanks

CFE burns the cleanest I've used, so far. (Another lefty Stag shooter. )

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, A78729 said:

do you think using rifle primers would reduce unburnt powder

Hello: Nope. It burns the powder if you use faster powder like Tite Group but you still will get some soot on the brass and around the bolt etc. It is just what happens with blowback rifles. I just wipe it down with a rag along with the magazines. My Magpul Glock mags which have orange followers now look black. A quick wash in the sink with Simple Green and they look new. Thanks, Eric

8 hours ago, vscorsa said:

With the Universal Clays and a 124gr projy what loads are you guys running?

Just about finished building my 9mm PPC so need to load some rounds now.

Hello: I was using 147 grain bullets with Universal Clays and the powder drop was 2.9 grains giving me 135PF. So I would think about 3.4 grains with the 124's. Thanks, Eric

So ran the PCC for the first time with 3.4gr's of Universal Clays with 124gr Montana Gold JHP it ran an average of 131 PF which seemed about right.

Gun had some cycling issues with catching the spent brass in the first 10 rounds and then ran flawlessly for the last 90. I'll load up some more the same and see how they run during some training.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MRBACKHAND said:

What bullet?

Hello: Since the original poster asked about 124's, I answered with my load of 124's. Coated, plated or jacketed, they all should make minor out of a 16" barrel. I am using mostly coated Acme bullets and also some jacketed Montana Golds also. Thanks, Eric

Out of a Kaw Valley Precision 16" barrel, with an xtreme 147 gr bullet, 2.6 grains Tite Group, 1.130" OAL, CCI primers, I chronoed right at 130 PF. Found that S&B primers dropped me 20-30 fps.

Brass and inside of gun does get pretty dirty, though, after a few hundred rounds. If Tite Group is one of the cleaner ones, I'd hate to see what the others are like. 

9 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

Gonna have to change my load. This is only the larger bits of lead out of my comp after around 800 rounds of 115gr RN loaded over 4 grains of Bullseye. Lots more small shavings all over the floor.

fccf40ef72c7804fb5f8090485b8c99b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a concern. Wonder if a sonic cleaner and appropriate chemicals would take care of this? 

This is a concern. Wonder if a sonic cleaner and appropriate chemicals would take care of this? 

I doubt it, but I think I found a solution. I sprayed this anti-stick solution they use for welding into my comp before the match Sunday, and the lead came out much easier. However, that doesn't fix the fact that I'm building up a lot of lead, so I think I need a cooler burning powder load.

43 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

Gonna have to change my load. This is only the larger bits of lead out of my comp after around 800 rounds of 115gr RN loaded over 4 grains of Bullseye. Lots more small shavings all over the floor.

fccf40ef72c7804fb5f8090485b8c99b.jpg

Hello: What comp are you using? Coated lead bullet I guess and Tite Group powder? I get some buildup in my comp from my coated bullets as well. Thanks, Eric 

• 4 months later...

I tried a 4.0 Tite Group with a 115 FMJ at 1.150 and it felt incredible!  It felt like an airsoft gun.  Unfortunately, the cases were all sooty and it chronoed at 700fps.  

I went to 4.8 TG and same bullet and OAL and it was 1100fps, sadly it did not feel like an airsoft anymore, but not bad.   

4 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

I tried a 4.0 Tite Group with a 115 FMJ at 1.150 and it felt incredible!  It felt like an airsoft gun.  Unfortunately, the cases were all sooty and it chronoed at 700fps.  

I went to 4.8 TG and same bullet and OAL and it was 1100fps, sadly it did not feel like an airsoft anymore, but not bad.   

Hello: You may want to check your chrono or powder measure. I am getting 133.3-136.9PF using 3.8 grains of Tite Group, Winchester small pistol primers, 115 Acme at 1.125"OAL out of a Sig MPX with a 8" barrel. Thanks, Eric

I calibrated and cross checked 3 beam scales.  On a marble slab they are reading exactly the same across all 3.  I dropped 10 loads into a reverse plug and it came out to 46.0 grs on consecutive attempts.  The chrono is reading consistently, indoors with artificial lights, low SD and extreme spread, and everything feels right.  No pressure signs on the brass and, to the contrary, the brass looks fairly sooty on the outside.   Either TG is pretty dirty or the cases are not expanding/sealing properly.  I will chrono some known loads tomorrow and confirm.

Edited by L9X25