Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need source for new Torx head grip fastener.

lksyotas

Was cleaning my S3 tonight and snapped the head off of the grip screw with very little effort. I know I can buy the same replacement pair from Stoeger or PD but I'm hoping to find an off the shelf fastener that will have a higher tensile strength. I work with delicate small fasteners daily and I know I didn't overtorque it initially. I've had them on and off the gun about six times. I'm thinking that I either had a bad screw or the stock Xtreme ones that came with my E.G. Grips aren't very strong. The cross section of the screw at the sheared portion has a really thin wall from the exterior threaded portion to the bottom of the torx recess. Does anyone know the thread size and pitch for these Tanfos?  Thanks in advance!

IMG_5174.JPG

Fantastic!  I couldn't find the thread size on McMaster. Must be I didn't try hard enough. Thanks for the link!

found these on Amazon but they are flat heads with a countersink. Probably would still work ok. Might get some to try.  

IMG_5175.PNG

Edited by lksyotas

On 3/3/2017 at 10:18 PM, JusticeOfToren said:

I got these screws from McMaster-Carr.  They work great on stock wood grips, EGD grips, SSI grips and Henning grips! 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#91613A184

91613A184p1-b01-digital@2x_6359298410146

https://www.mcmaster.com/#92000A153

92000A153p1-b01-digitall@2x_636196441093

Just got the top ones.  The threads fit and the length is fine, but with my Henning grips the head of the screw sticks out and is quite noticeable when gripping the gun hard.  I'll order the bottom ones and see if there's a difference once installed.  The head on the bottom ones does look a bit shorter, so hopefully they won't stick out.

Just got the top ones.  The threads fit and the length is fine, but with my Henning grips the head of the screw sticks out and is quite noticeable when gripping the gun hard.  I'll order the bottom ones and see if there's a difference once installed.  The head on the bottom ones does look a bit shorter, so hopefully they won't stick out.

Keep us up to date !!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, emjei said:

These are no good neither. ...

Why not?

I got a pair a while back similar to that which had a head too fat to recess down into the scales grips. Chucked it into a drill and held a dremel against it to thin them down, then polished them up nice and shiny the same way.

Why not?

I got a pair a while back similar to that which had a head too fat to recess down into the scales grips. Chucked it into a drill and held a dremel against it to thin them down, then polished them up nice and shiny the same way.

The head OF THE SCREW is too big and wont go in with EGD Grips

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

When, oh when, will we get Optimized grip screws?

Lightweight for those looking to save 1/200th Oz for Carry Optics.

Tungsten for those looking to make their gun heavier and mitigate recoil.

You don't have any from Joe ?

Sheesh! I've been switching between the depleted uranium optimized recoil reducing screws and the  hollow optimized "floating" screws to cut weight by a full 8 oz!

Next week he's inventing screws with internal 7 axis gyroscopes to stabilize the gun during triggerings.

Edited by johnbu

The grip screws from Shooting Sports Innovations have been the best out of what I've used but don't come in a pimp finish. Black only. The Eric ones are fine as well, but I like the larger bit size on the Shooting Sports ones.

On 3/24/2017 at 10:38 AM, V2plus25 said:

Can't say I didn't try :)

The bottom ones (philips head) are exactly like the flat head ones size-wise. I'm soooo happy the minimum order quantity was 100. What the hell do I do with 100 of these useless things now?

Twinkie thanks for the info on the screws from SSI. Got some ordered from them now. Fingers crossed the third time is the charm.