Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M4 for 3 Gun

abb1

I was looking at purchasing a good shotgun for 3 gun, and along came a great deal on a Benelli M4 which I snagged. Looking at several people that shoot 3 Gun, the majority of Benelli users have opted for the M2 over the M4. Why?? I thought that the M4 has less recoil due to being gas operated, and factored with its undisputed reliability, I was really surprised that the majority shoot M2's. Did I make a mistake in my purchase in that the M2 is superior to the M4 in 3 Gun? Is the M4 a good pick? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am new to 3 gun and have never been much into shotguns, just pistols for IPSC. Thanks

Edited by abb1

I would say as long as you do your research you will be ok with the M4.  The M2 may be the Ferrari of 3 gun but you have a very nice shotgun.  I just bought one too and was thinking the same thing.  The only problem with it being gas driven is that it may or may not run light target loads.  It is a born and bread combat shotgun and wasn't designed to run low brass bird shot.  I had to do a little testing with ammo to get a few options that would run it 100 percent.  Don't know if you shooting hand loaded shells or not but I found that it would run the wally world federals as well as the federal top gun in the blue box.  Seems like it has to be 3 dram or better.  I would say don't worry about it yet especially since you are new to 3 gun.  I highly doubt it will be holding you back.   

The M2 is a much better gun for 3 gun. If you want a gas shotgun for 3 gun get a Beretta 1301. Most of use use 24-26" barrels now, the M4 has a 18" barrel, also pistol grips, well suck for 3 gun. Plus you can buy a used M2 or 1301 and have money left over for modifications.

Well to be fair, the vast majority of grits aren't made with a pistol. It is only when the water is very recalcitrant to boil that a pistol comes into play. Now please realize this is........wait.......wait.......just stirring the pot! :blink: 

(are pistol grits served with butter?)

Edited by kurtm

15 minutes ago, kurtm said:

Well to be fair, the vast majority of grits aren't made with a pistol. It is only when the water is very recalcitrant to boil that a pistol comes into play. Now please realize this is........wait.......wait.......just stirring the pot! :blink: 

(are pistol grits served with butter?)

Well, perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove. Were these magic pistol grits? I mean, did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

I was never able to get my M2 to run 100% with a pistol grit on it. It is close to flawless with the straight stock. The last malfunction I had was when the trigger group pin fell out, followed by the trigger group, in the middle of a 90+ round shotgun stage at the 3man3gun.

Still not sure how that happened.