Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor props

I'm looking for ideas to use for fault lines and shooting boxes for indoor matches on a smooth concrete floor.  Currently, I'm using foam pipe insulation that I split in half lengthwise.  These are taped onto the floor using painter's tape, but they can be (and are) pushed by the shooters' feet so the lines are ... bendable!  I'd like something that is firmer and that would give some "feel" for the shooter.  Plastic guides for cables and wires that are used in office traffic areas would be ideal, but at about $8 / 3' that's too expensive.

My greatest concern is using something that the shooter could step on but would slide and cause a fall.

What do some of you use for your matches?

I run a match in our local indoor match, both USPSA and 'Fun' match w/ less rules.  I use 1x2 furring strips with gaffers tape to hold them in place. Shooting boxes can be PVC, 2x2, 1'' sq tubing... I use all three.  I found that using the gaffers tape is far easier to get off the floor and my props.  The tape holds it in place, unlike painters tape which tears quite easy.

We used to use duct tape, but it wouldn't pull up easily and would leave a sticky footprint. That's why the change to painters tape. But like RecoilJunkie pointed out, it tears too easily.

I'd never heard of gaffers tape, so I looked it up. Pricey! But it might be what we need. Don't know about using something as "big" as 2x2s but furring strips (1x2s) or lathe might work.

Thanks for the comments.

• 5 months later...

We have indoor uspsa matches here. We use flexible conduit from Home depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-3-4-in-x-100-ft-ENT-Coil-Blue-12007-100/100404116?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100569078-_-100404116-_-N .It can be easily cut to any length. We attach it to the wooden target stands and wall supports with clamps. Its flexible so you can create some interesting curved fault lines.  When a fairly long straight run is needed I use 1/2 inch rigid conduit and slide it inside the plastic stuff. we also use sandbags when necessary to hold them in place. Both types are cheap and available.

Edited by jmnjoeyd1

On 3/9/2017 at 5:29 AM, SkyRock said:

I'd never heard of gaffers tape, so I looked it up. Pricey! But it might be what we need. Don't know about using something as "big" as 2x2s but furring strips (1x2s) or lathe might work.

Thanks for the comments.

Gaffers tape is worth the money.  It lasts all match and doesn't rip and stick to the floor when tearing down.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:40 PM, jmnjoeyd1 said:

We have indoor uspsa matches here. We use flexible conduit from Home depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-3-4-in-x-100-ft-ENT-Coil-Blue-12007-100/100404116?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100569078-_-100404116-_-N .It can be easily cut to any length. We attach it to the wooden target stands and wall supports with clamps. Its flexible so you can create some interesting curved fault lines.  When a fairly long straight run is needed I use 1/2 inch rigid conduit and slide it inside the plastic stuff. we also use sandbags when necessary to hold them in place. Both types are cheap and available.

I'll look into that.  Do you have any concerns about tripping over them?