Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 147gr question

Johrichal

2 minutes ago, rancher5 said:

crimp still passed the Plunk test, pp, were alway.s telling to crimp more,

Perfect :-)  Almost all my friends that I had to troubleshoot issues with 9mm were because they 'crimped' to a measurement at the end, but then wondered why bullets tumbled (mostly because it compressed against bullet, but then relaxed after out of the die loosening grip). If you back way off on crimp then do what you've done, just enough crimp that you just knock bell off enough that it will case guage. More often then not you'll find you are in spec and the ammo works wonderfully.

To original post, I'll echo above, just see what maximimum OAL that you can load that after finishing a round that case gauges OK, when inserted in your chamber it spins freely w/o snagging the rifling. Worse for short chamber CZ is profile of hollow point, you have to go really short to make it work. I've had 147 range from 1.14 (extreme plated RN), 1.11-1.12 (Acme RNFP - I currently use, and the old BBI 147 mold), 1.08/1.09, the new BBI 147 mold). So you just need to try it. It just depends on what the bullet profile is, if the RN is thinner or fatter at the top.

FWIW, you can get a throat reamer (or send barrel out), which cuts back slightly where rifling starts, so you have some flexibility to load a little longer or use your 147 die. But with CZ75 you'll still then be limited by the magazines which I don't think will take much more than 1.15 before the bullet tips drag in the magazine. Against, something to test for if you do throat ream and go long.

Welcome to CZ fun!

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. 

I went and shot a few of my loads the other night and most went just fine but nothing very accurate and I had one that keyholed. So i went back and loaded a few more dummy rounds to mess with different belling and taper crimp settings and think I found my problem. I think I was belling too much and then taper crimping too tight. Not sure how it was screwing it up but I put together 3 dummy rounds at 1.150" for the 147gr rnfp and with the lighter "crimp" all three seated fine on the plunk test. I put them in the clip and ran them through the gun quite a few times and all seem to feed just fine.

Seems kinda long from what ive read though

• 1 month later...

I usually load 147gr to 1.13 or 1.125 at the shortest. I've been told you need to load CZ's shorter than typical OAL to help with clearance from the magazine to chamber. Hit up CZ Custom, they've seen it all related to these pistols. A quick call would probably answer all your questions.