Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullets from Kemp, TX

It's about time to place an order for a new shipment of bullets, 9mm and 45 ACP.  I've tried BBI(9/45) as well as Acme (9mm).   I was thinking of giving Precision Bullets a try. I'm curious about their swaging process. However, I know that swaged bullets are usually a few BH softer.  I called them this afternoon, and the nice man on the phone said that the bullets have a hardness of 13 BH. But I've read online that swaged bullets usually have a hardness of 8 to 10 BH.  

So I would like to ask if anyone here has been using this bullet brand for any extended period of time. What is your feedback? What does the fouling in the barrel over time look like? Is the particular polymer coating that precision bullets uses a bear to get out of the barrel?  Any other feedback would be appreciated.  

Thanks.  

3 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Compared to what other types or brands of bullets?

Any. The coating leaves something in the barrel like wad residue in shotguns. Plastic. Hard to scrub out. No other bullets I shoot leave much if any residue in the barrel

I shot a good 3-4000 of these in 9mm 147s when I first started shooting competition. They loaded and shot really well. Zero complaints on the fouling side, although there was some smoke. Probably half of what I was used to with my old 45acp competition load in cast lead and Clays.

I'm convinced shooting just over power factor with a 147 gr bullet had a lot to do with my lack of issues. At the time when researching whether to give these a try I picked up on several opinions (right or wrong) that pushing moly coating much over 1000 fps was where it started to foul. Certainly my experience driving them around the 900 fps mark seemed to agree.

Thinking about it now, it might make sense that a lot of fouling and a lot of smoke would go hand in hand.

One thing is for sure, they aren't so much cheaper than other alternatives that they'd stay in business selling to people willing to put up with poor performance to save a few pennies. So logic dictates that their steady customer base has found decent formulas/results.

They are great bullets.  Very consistent and very accurate.  Price is competitive/reasonable.  

I've shot 9mm 125 and 147, and the .40's in 155 and 185 grain.  Absolutely no fouling that won't come with a few passes with a nylon bore brush.  No scrubbing or solvent required.

The only drawback is that they smoke more (including the new Gen 2 coating) than the other brands, which is why I don't use them.  There are other brands that are just as accurate that smoke noticeably less. 

Edited by al503

I have shot 8-10K of their 185gr .40 bullets. I'm a big fan of how consistent their bullets are. Coating is very uniform from bullet to bullet and so is the surface of the actual bullet. None od the dents and dings that I see with other coated (cast) bullets.

I've also run through a case of the 200gr .45 SWC and a case of the 155gr .40 as well.

I've not noticed any issues with cleaning after shooting them as others have noted.

I use them and they don't seem to smoke any more than Acme bullets.  I like them as I can get .358 bullets which seem to shoot better in my 9mm with a Kart NM barrel than smaller diameter bullets.  Get 250 of whatever you shoot and try them !

14 hours ago, Sarge said:

I shot a thousand or so and found the poly very hard to clean out of the barrel. Smoked quite a bit.

This. Baked-on polymer type deposits in the barrel that were not fun to clean out.

Black bullets, Bayou, etc are all very much preferred in my book.

My issues were with a 124 or 130gr at 133 power factor.

I ran 1000 last year of the 147gr FP, over Unique. 3.3gr I think.

I had to seat them deep to run in my LWD barrel -- like 1.060"

I probably ran half in the LWD barrel, and the other half in either my G17 or the stock G34 barrel.

I never had a problem with coating that was hard to clean in any of those barrels, but it's not like I ran all 1000 and then cleaned -- I used it as practice ammo along with several other types (FMJ, plated, other coated) in a given range session.

Their .45 200gr SWC worked fine in my 1911 with Bullseye.

I tried the .40 185gr FP in my Limited gun with N320, but when hovering around power factor, I couldn't get the ES down to less than 80 FPS. SD was significantly worse than the Ibeji and Blue bullets I tested that day with N320 and similar PF loads.

Any. The coating leaves something in the barrel like wad residue in shotguns. Plastic. Hard to scrub out. No other bullets I shoot leave much if any residue in the barrel

I agree with sarge but I used them back in 2009 and the reason above is why I went to Bayou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been shooting the 185s for years over v.v. powder.  No residue issues, minimal smoke.  Loaded over titegroup is a different story though.  Lots of smoke.  I would use a different combination than the 2 of them together!

I recently have loaded the .45 ACP 200 gr SWC (with Generation 2 coating) from Precision Bullet. I used HP-38 and had no barrel fouling and only minimal smoke. The bullet coating was smooth and uniform, and the bullets loaded easily on my Dillon 550B. I have been very favorably impressed with this bullet and plan to use more. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Congratulations--you actually asked the manufacturer and found that you were being told BS.

Precision Bullets uses 92/6/2 alloy. Hornady uses 94/6 or 95/5 alloy. I do not know of ANY commercial swaged bullets that have a BHN under 10, with 12-13 being common.

For anything, including .44 Rem Mag (where Keith used 10-12 BHN alloy of ALL his testing and shooting), I found 8-13 BHN to be more than hard enough, if the bullet was large enough and the lube was any good.

The whole "HARD" alloy thing is so much mythology and, in fact, a too-hard alloy will lead quicker than a too-soft alloy (in general, for HARD commercial bullets, I order them at least 0.002" larger than actual groove diameter just to eliminate the leading they are said to prevent).

I find that Zero 200gn swaged L-SWC and Precision Bullet swaged and coated 200gn L-SWC are the most accurate I have found.

The Precision Bullet 9mm bullets also work great in my 9x19, 9x21, and .38 Super hot loads.

I really don't think any one has used a truly soft alloy for swaged bullets in decades.